JIRA and MySql 5.7 with SSL

Ion McCusker December 14, 2019

I'm trying to setup a JIRA instance on gcloud which connects to a BYOD MySql 5.7 server.

I've created the keystore and truststore and validated connectivity with a simple Java main but when I try set the JAVA_OPTS with the corresponding -Djavax.net.ssl.keyStore= and -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore= values, I get the following warning:

WARN: Establishing SSL connection without server's identity verification is not recommended. According to MySQL 5.5.45+, 5.6.26+ and 5.7.6+ requirements SSL connection must be established by default if explicit option isn't set. For compliance with existing applications not using SSL the verifyServerCertificate property is set to 'false'. You need either to explicitly disable SSL by setting useSSL=false, or set useSSL=true and provide truststore for server certificate

2 answers

0 votes
Varma Gadiraju October 30, 2020

Ion - You need to add "useSSL=false&" this parameters in the dbconfig file.

Example: <url>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3003/jiradatabase?useUnicode=true&amp;"---ADD HERE---"characterEncoding=UTF8&amp;sessionVariables=default_storage_engine=InnoDB</url>

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 16, 2019

Hello @Ion McCusker ,

Thank for reaching out and as covered in the error message you are going to want to add "useSSL=false" value.  The location to place this is going to be in your dbconfig.xml file via adding the following to the end of the db URL:

&amp;useSSL=false

and this is discussed a bit further in the following Thread:

Regards,
Earl

Suggest an answer