JIRA Rest API question

Shane Corley March 22, 2016

My company has this third party web app that we want to pull data from to create JIRA issues on our JIRA environment. The asp.net and js files used for the web app on my company's server are encrypted and I can't edit the js in order to make the http requests with the JIRA rest api. My initial thought is that it won't be possible to use the rest api to automatically create JIRA issues due to this encryption. The third party web app however sits on our sql database and I want to know if it's possible to pull the data using JIRA Rest api from that instead of changing the javascript itself of the app (Javascript is what would talk to JIRA, not sql right?). Any thoughts of how I should be going about this? I'm kind of a noob and I'm learning as I go. Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2016

Yes, you'd use javascript in this case.  I'm not sure why it's "encrypted" though - it can't be when it arrives with the browser, or the browser couldn't use it (yes, encrypted in transit with https, but the content can't be when it's run on the client machine)

Your application doesn't have to use javascript though.  There are three things here:

• Your webapp
  • JIRA
  • The user's browser

Your goal is for the webapp to create JIRA issues.  I imagine the processing in here is that your users are using a browser to do things in your webapp, and at some point, they do something that leads to "hey, raise an issue" (I'm assuming you want that automated, not just taking them to a JIRA page outside the webapp)

You have two options here:

1. Embed code in your webapp that can get their browser to fire call over to JIRA.  That's going to be a javascript REST call if you do it that way.
  2. Your webapp can use anything that lets it post REST calls to push the data directly into JIRA without involving the user's browser.  That's code purely in your webapp, and you can write it in whatever you want

There's one other trick - if you do go for option 1, have a look at JIRA's "issue collectors".  They can generate the javascript for you to embed in your application so you don't have to write anything for yourself!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events