JIRA Datacenter "connection timed out"

Hi all,

I have trouble setting up JIRA in Datacenter mode on AWS cloud.

This is the error I got on the node that does not start (the other node is correctly starting with the licence and it connects correctly to the NFS & DB). Both are on AWS, on the same region, and on the same "Security Group".

Node 1 :

• nfs server
  • mysql server
  • JIRA node 1
  • nfs mountpoint

Node 2 :

• mount point to nfs on node 1
  • uses MySQL on node 1
  • JIRA node 2

Without datacenter, no issue.

With datacenter, JIRA Node 1 does not manage to start and shows the following error in atlassian-jira.log .
I'm not sure what is wrong in my settings, or which component is failing with the "Connection timed out"...

Thanks in advance for your help,

C/MH

2016-03-17 16:49:30,833 Caesium-1-4 ERROR ServiceRunner     [n.s.ehcache.distribution.RMISynchronousCacheReplicator] Exception on replication of putNotification. Connection refused to host: <IP node 2>; nested exception is: 
        java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out. Continuing...
java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: <IP node 2>; nested exception is: 
    java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out
    at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPEndpoint.newSocket(TCPEndpoint.java:619)
    at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.createConnection(TCPChannel.java:216)
    at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.newConnection(TCPChannel.java:202)
    at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.invoke(UnicastRef.java:130)
    at net.sf.ehcache.distribution.RMICachePeer_Stub.put(Unknown Source)
    at net.sf.ehcache.distribution.RMISynchronousCacheReplicator.replicatePutNotification(RMISynchronousCacheReplicator.java:149)
    at net.sf.ehcache.distribution.RMISynchronousCacheReplicator.notifyElementUpdated(RMISynchronousCacheReplicator.java:187)
    at net.sf.ehcache.event.RegisteredEventListeners.internalNotifyElementUpdated(RegisteredEventListeners.java:216)
    at net.sf.ehcache.event.RegisteredEventListeners.notifyElementUpdated(RegisteredEventListeners.java:194)
    at net.sf.ehcache.Cache.notifyPutInternalListeners(Cache.java:1530)
    at net.sf.ehcache.Cache.putInternal(Cache.java:1502)
    at net.sf.ehcache.Cache.put(Cache.java:1427)
    at net.sf.ehcache.Cache.put(Cache.java:1392)
    at com.atlassian.cache.ehcache.DelegatingCache.put(DelegatingCache.java:82)
    at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.healthcheck.service.HeartBeatService.propagateHeartBeat(HeartBeatService.java:89)
    at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.healthcheck.scheduler.impl.HealthCheckSchedulerImpl.runJob(HealthCheckSchedulerImpl.java:50)
    at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.runJob(JobLauncher.java:153)
    at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.launchAndBuildResponse(JobLauncher.java:118)
    at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.launch(JobLauncher.java:97)
    at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.launchJob(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:401)
    at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.executeLocalJob(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:369)
    at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.executeQueuedJob(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:347)
    at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService$1.consume(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:255)
    at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService$1.consume(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:252)
    at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.SchedulerQueueWorker.executeJob(SchedulerQueueWorker.java:65)
    at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.SchedulerQueueWorker.executeNextJob(SchedulerQueueWorker.java:59)
    at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.SchedulerQueueWorker.run(SchedulerQueueWorker.java:34)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
    at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:345)
    at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:206)
    at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:188)
    at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)
    at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:538)
    at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:434)
    at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:211)
    at sun.rmi.transport.proxy.RMIDirectSocketFactory.createSocket(RMIDirectSocketFactory.java:40)
    at sun.rmi.transport.proxy.RMIMasterSocketFactory.createSocket(RMIMasterSocketFactory.java:148)
    at net.sf.ehcache.distribution.ConfigurableRMIClientSocketFactory.createSocket(ConfigurableRMIClientSocketFactory.java:71)
    at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPEndpoint.newSocket(TCPEndpoint.java:613)
    ... 27 more

1 answer

0 vote
Chris Fuller Atlassian Team Apr 04, 2016

This looks like a firewall problem.  The Data Center nodes have to be able to communicate directly with each other RMI, which is a separate port from the ones you would previously have opened up.

Read this:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/installing-jira-data-center-604274940.html#InstallingJIRADataCenter-Security

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Emilee Spencer
Published yesterday in Marketplace Apps

Marketplace Spotlight: DeepAffects

Hello Atlassian Community! My name is Emilee, and I’m a Product Marketing Manager for the Marketplace team. Starting with this post, I'm kicking off a monthly series of Spotlights to highlight Ma...

37 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot