JIRA CSV import: setup field mappings: many fields not available for mapping

John Goetz February 16, 2017

I am moving issues between two identical JIRA instances on different servers. These instances have the same structure, Projects, etc. 

From the first instance I exported issues created after a certain date from a single project to a CSV file. I am now attempting to import that CSV into the other instance, into the same Project.

I am following the instructions in this document . I selected the CSV file and set the appropriate settings. I do not have an existing configuration for this process, so I'm going through all the steps to set it up. In Setup project mappings (step 7 of the section Running the CSV file import wizard) I chose "Select my Project" and chose the right one from the dropdown list (Note: The Wizard has no section for E-mail suffix for New Users as is listed in the instruction document).

During Setup field mappings (step 9 of the section Running the CSV file import wizard) , many (most, actually) of the fields exported are not listed in the JIRA Field column dropdown selector (for example, Attachment, Comment, Issue Key, Project Key, etc.). Of course, without this mapping, the importer won't import this information.

How can I force the Import Wizard to list the correct fields for the Project's issues?

2 answers

0 votes
John Goetz March 24, 2017

Hi Mary,

No, I haven't had any response. I have determined the problem is that JIRA exports only those fields common to all issues selected. That is, if you have multiple issues with different field sets, JIRA will not export those fields which don't match.

Two (tedious) workarounds: 

• Export issues by type (in my case issues of each type have the same field set)
  • Export using a binary search method – pull halves until something "breaks", then divide that half into halves and try to export each half.

Hope this helps!

Pamela T Hartley April 12, 2017

John,

I don't think this is the case, as i am able to see the fields when importing the exact same file as others who cannot search for field.  Wierd.

0 votes
Mary Wilson March 22, 2017

Did you get any responses?  I'm finding that our users don't have the same fields available to them as the admins do when using "External System Import".  This is tedious as they have to send all info to our admins for import/update.

Pamela T Hartley April 12, 2017

I am having the same problem, and they are important fields like Comment Body.

Jemari Thurston September 19, 2017

I am having the same issue. I am specifically looking at loading new features/ stories, and need to link to design documents in confluence. I am missing a field mapping for "attachments" using the instructions linked above by John G.

Suggest an answer