JIRA 6.x upgrade DB and Boards tab

Sam Chilwan November 26, 2015

I tried to use the upgrade path when I was moving our JIRA server to 7.0.2 although this didn't work out that well and was getting error 500 and some LDAP issues so decided to go for a new install.

I now have a new install of JIRA 7.0.2 and did create a new DB during the install phase (couldn't connect to the old one since it had data a per the install message) but since I wanted my old data back I change the dbconfig to point to the old Database. Will this be an issue? Has the DB schema changed a lot? I couldn't see instructions on how I can upgrade the postgres DB if the schema has changed.

(Note: I did notice issues after the install, as there are tasks assigned to me but I cannot see these on my dashboard until I unassigned a task and then re-assigned the same task back to me, not sure if this is due to me connecting to the old database) 

My second question is in regards to the boards tab (to see the agile management view), I created an cloud account on JIRA and I can see this tab by default but on my personal server I cannot seem to see this tab, is there something I need enabled? I thought with a new install of JIRA 7.0.2 it will have the agile functionality as its comes part of 7?

Not sure if this will help, I am using an evaluation license but my company has got the new licenses which we are going to install as soon as I can get JIRA to be configured.

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2015

>since I wanted my old data back I change the dbconfig to point to the old Database. Will this be an issue? Has the DB schema changed a lot?

You can't downgrade a JIRA database.  The changes aren't massive, but they're big enough that you don't want to try downgrading manually.  I hope you took a backup before attempting this.  Your old JIRA simply won't start when it detects the new version of the data.

JIRA does the upgrade for you - you do not need to think about schema changes or data migrations when upgrading, the code for upgrading is built into JIRA and it detects the data version and upgrades it all in the background for you.  (But it can't downgrade it). 

The basics of an upgrade are "install new version of JIRA and point it at your old data"

On boards - those are provided by the "Agile" add-on in version 6 and below in JIRA.  For JIRA 7, this has been changed into an Application and you now need to add the "JIRA Software" application to the JIRA Core installation (or install/commission JIRA Software - Core + Software is now available as a single installation rather than having to install JIRA and add Software as an add-on).

Check if you've signed up for JIRA Core or JIRA Software on Cloud.  If it's just Core, you'll need to add Software from "manage applications"

0 votes
Sam Chilwan December 1, 2015

Thanks for the reply. Apologise for not responding sooner as had to wait 24 hours.

I wasn't downgrading was upgrading from version 6.x to 7.0.2. Appears my JIRA seems to be working ok by me pointing to the old database. I had to re-index my data and everything appeared to be back to normal.

Had to get the JIRA software installed and its got the relevant Agile functionality.

Not sure why Stash has broken with a 500 error as I never touched that, but will raise a separate issue for this.

Thanks again

Suggest an answer