Issues not found in a specific query, found in broader query... THEN appear in specific query

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2017

I just had an odd occurrence on our JIRA 6.4.13 instance. I was asked why there was an issue that no JQL query would find so I had a look at it.

The search scenario that did not find it:

• Project
  • Assignee
  • Resolution

I opened the issue that we knew was there and quickly did a JQL query that should definitively find it based on:

• Project
  • Issue Type
  • Resolution

That one DID find it. The odd bit is that after THAT search, the issue showed up in the ORIGINAL query again as well as a couple of others that weren't showing up based on project, assignee, and resolution. Also, a dashboard with counts of these issues based on the original search criteria did not reflect the missing issues in the counts but did after my broader query.

NOTE that the queries were working for MOST issues; just not ALL the issues.

Is there a bug in 6.4.13 or other oddness that might cause this? Why would (apparently) the "tickle" of the broader search make them appear in the more restrictive search?

Enquiring minds want to know

Mike

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2017

First instinct is that your index is damaged.  Try re-indexing and repeating the tests.

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2017

After a few more like that, I did just that.... and the one query that kept missing them... all of a sudden had 4 more in the list.

The workflow for that project was before me and it is overly complex and fragile. On my list of "things to fix". That is... assuming of course, that a flaky workflow and linking plugin could do that kinda thing? Is one of those hacks where the workflow creates and links a bunch of subtasks just for multiple approvals on a single issue)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2017

That would suggest a post-function is making updates without indexing the affected issues.

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 25, 2017

Good call. I'll dig into that. Thanks Nic. As always, greatly appreciated

Suggest an answer