Issue with field sorting using Table Transformer and Pivot Table in Confluence

Santanu Roy November 17, 2020

Issue with field sorting using Table Transformer and Pivot Table in Confluence.

I am using Table Transformer macro and have come-up with a sort order of a column.

Column Name: Approval Category

Values: Req, QA, BSA, UAT

However, when I am using a Pivot on top of Table Transformer, my column Sort Order is changing.

I am getting the sorting in this form (which I do NOT want).

Values: BSA, QA, Req, UAT

Is there a way to retain my sort order in Pivot, either using SQL or on JIRA?

Values: Req, QA, BSA, UAT

1 answer

2 votes
Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2020

Hi @Santanu Roy ,

You have two options to solve the problem.

The first one is to choose the Preserve original sorting type of sorting for your Pivot macro. If the default sorting or the sequence of mentioned items in the original table suit you, it will be a perfect workaround:

Wed 1-1.pngWed 1-2.pngThe second option is to use an additional Table Transformer macro after your Pivot Table macro and set your own custom sorting strictly:

Wed 1-3.pngType in your custom SQL query:

Wed 1-4.pngSELECT * FROM T*
ORDER BY
CASE WHEN T1.'Approval Category' LIKE "Req" THEN "1"
WHEN T1.'Approval Category' LIKE "QA" THEN "2"
WHEN T1.'Approval Category' LIKE "BSA" THEN "3"
WHEN T1.'Approval Category' LIKE "UAT" THEN "4"
ELSE T1.'Approval Category' END ASC

Wed 1-5.png

Candice April 13, 2023

Hi Katerina.

I am trying to custom sort my pivot table as per the 2 options you provided above.

In both instances, the Table Transformer reflects the correct sort order however, the pivot table defaults to alphabetical ordering.

Problem:

1. There are 10+ project managers assigned to multiple projects for the year.

2. Each project has a different project size (weeks are allocated per size).

3. I want to see the total number of projects each PM is working on as well as the total number of weeks.

4. I am able to see this view however, I'd like to custom sort the project sizes to start from XS - S - M - etc.

Pivot Table View.PNG

Stiltsoft support
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2023

Hi @Candice ,

In the examples above we talk about "vertical" sorting (I mean, in columns).

From your screenshot I see that you use rows in your Pivot Table: both options won't work here. 

Candice April 13, 2023

Thanks for the response. I see what you mean.
Is there any way that I could do "horizontal" sorting?

Stiltsoft support
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 13, 2023

The only way is a manual one: wrap your Pivot Table in the Table Transformer macro. You'll get long one-row headers. Smth like "Count L", "Count M", etc.

Then you'll need to list every column in that particular order that you need and rename it if necessary.

For example, smth like this:

SELECT T1.'Project Manager / Project Size' AS 'Project Manager',

T1.'Count XS' AS 'XS',

T1.'Count S' AS 'S',

FROM T1

You may type in T1. and wait for the list of available columns - choose the required column from the dropdown menu.

Candice April 17, 2023

Thanks for this. The view isn't the best - I appreciate your feedback :)

Like Stiltsoft support likes this

Suggest an answer