Is there a way to aggregate sprint reporting across multiple sprints?

I want to use JIRA Agile Scrum configuration to aggregate sprint status of the overall project.

Some background:

• There are multiple cross functional teams
  • There are multiple JIRA projects
  • There are sprints that are 4 weeks long, this is common to everyone
  • The cross functional teams created their own sprints within their projects
    • Some teams created sprints for a particular block of the design
    • The sprints, however, have the same start and end date
  • I found the built in sprint reporting gadgets work well for an individual sprint
    • However, if I want to get overall project status, I have not found any way to combine sprints

Let me give an example to clarify:

There is a Project A and Project B.

Within Project A there are two sprints:

• Block_A_Sprint_1 (start date = 9/5, end date = 9/30)
  • Block_B_Sprint_1 (start date = 9/5, end date = 9/30)

Within Project B there are three sprints:

• Block_C_Sprint_1 (start date = 9/5, end date = 9/30)
  • Block_D_Sprint_1 (start date = 9/5, end date = 9/30)

Let me preface by saying I am new to using JIRA for Agile Scrum.

Are we going down the wrong path here? Is it better to have a global sprint that spans across projects and blocks? The general thinking is the team wants to have control of their own sprint.

How do I generate a aggregate report of all sprints?

Any way to make a combined burn down chart based on dates?

3 answers

Hi Michael and Michael,

out of the box there isn't a way to aggregate activities tracked under different projects/teams/sprints. This falls under the definition of a Program. Cycle Control add-on is designed exactly with that use case in mind - you can define your initiative as a aggregation of different Agile Boards or Projects on top of that you can see the progress and any custom metrics on a timeline.

Let us know if you are interested in a quick demo at support@botronsoft.com.

Cheers,
Peter T

Thanks Peter, if it can do exactly as I want, I would like to see a demo. I will contact you in email.

I'm facing into this same issue - I'd love to hear a definitive answer.

I understand you can create a new board with a custom filter that includes all of the Issues from each of the 'child' Projects - then, in theory, you can use the sprint burndown chart for that 'aggregate' board.  BUT, if each project has their own Sprint defined (perhaps even with different names) then the Sprint Burndown report won't work across the whole programme - it will only display one of the Sprints at a time.

I believe the solution (although I'm unable to test it yet) is to have all child projects use the same Sprint - which can only occur if at least one issue (that is assigned to that sprint) appears on each project board.  Which is probably not desirable because you don't want issues appearing on multiple boards.

Not sure what the total solution is, but would love to hear from folks doing this.

Hi Michael, you listed quite accurate the challenges if you don't have additional budget and want an Agile board to aggregate the deliverables from multiple boards, you can use one sprint across many boards and projects.

This solution is quite clumsy and each time you need to make changes the filter needs to be adjusted and if one of the Child projects somehow change than the aggregate board won't show the aggregated information.

Then if this is still acceptable, you cannot see all the information in one place, you need to constantly jump between boards. The reports are limited and fixed - you can't customize them.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Peter T

Yes, I understand.  I do have a moderate level of concern over the clunkiness.  But I'd like to trial this option and if it is particularly problematic then I'll advise others that we should consider an add-on.

Thanks, Mick

In the situation where we don't have any budget for add-ons, has anyone got a workaround using the standard product features?

Mick

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Stride

Get Started in Stride in 3 Easy Steps

Get started on Stride in 3 easy steps   If you’re new to Stride, welcome! We’re super excited to have you aboard. Stride is easy to use and set up, so don’t worry about reading tons of borin...

58 views 0 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you