Is there a server configuration file to change so All Issues filter is default instead of Open Issues in Project >Issues?

Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2016

This same question has been asked once or twice at least, however the most recent one I saw was for the Cloud version.

So, when you go to a Project > Issues page, the default URL runs an allopenissues filter query.  Is there no system configuration file we could modify on our server that would default the filter to allissues?  That has to be called somewhere (unless it's in a jar or something). I don't feel like writing a suggestion for it as there is already one of those too, so that's why I'm just looking to see if anyone knows where this filter call can be changed from the server.

Default:

https://jira.XXXX.com/projects/XXXXXX/issues/XXXXXX-66?filter=allopenissues

After manually switching to All Issues

https://jira.XXXX.com/projects/XXXXXX/issues/XXXXXX-2?filter=allissues

This is a common usability problem we seem to have complaints about where our users feel like all of their data was deleted, when they didn't realize / notice that the default is Open issues in their project.  As they get used to the system they should learn otherwise as well as make use of the Issue Navigator instead of the Project view as issue navigator is way more powerful (but that's unrealistic thinking to assume every user will learn more advanced techniques and also that they'll recall that they need to set it to All Issues every time). 

13 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2016

just don't have a Resolution set for those issues that you always want to see when you select that project

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2016

Done wink

Yes, I'd create a workflow that only has one status and no resolution field on offer.

0 votes
Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2016

Every issue has to have a workflow right?  else it auto gets defaulted to the JIRA default workflow I believe.  If anything, just to get rid of this open question as I haven't heard as many user complaints recently, somebody just write an Answer that says "just don't have a Resolution set for those issues that you always want to see when you select that project". 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2016

So you're not really using the workflow at all.  So there's no point in resolving them.

0 votes
Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2016

But at a certain point, you can't create issues without having a status, as far as I know... so would you rather keep them perpetually Open for all time, or have them sit in a Closed status under the label "No Status"?

And not as much of "actively tracked" perhaps as being needed for historical reference. 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2016

But if something is actively tracked, why has it been resolved?  You'd normally only end a record after it no longer needs tracking.  The whole point of the workflow is that issues eventually get solved or go away, so there's an end point at which time the item is "resolved".  If you don't need to do that, what's the benefit in having them resolved?   More to the point, in this case, you're complaining that "users lose their issues" - that implies you're changing the status, even though you're not using it.  You could simply, well, leave them open.

0 votes
Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2016

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] that is unless you also use JIRA Projects for tracking things like Configuration Management (CM) Media, COTS used, and other issue types where a workflow that only has a status of "No Status" (completed) is the most relevant.  With a large program of record that's been around for 20 years, we have all manner of things to track and need to easily query at any point in time and link to other new or old issues (e.g. linking COTS issues to Software issues that track all of a current product's build and export-required details).  Typical product development projects make sense to only show Open, but there are these other one-off projects where it'd be nice to change how just those are displayed.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2016

The filter default is hard-coded, presumably because Atlassian have found the most sensible thing to do is go along with the standard assumption - resolved issues don't need any action, and therefore don't need to clutter up default displays.

0 votes
TRC Healthcare October 25, 2016

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] in our case we were looking to customize the filter to show open issues in order of priority (descending) with possibly some other tweaks as well.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2016

I think there's a problem with the idea, and a good reason for the design.  Closed issues are done with, so most people don't need to see them in a summary.

0 votes
Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2016

No, I still have not found an answer to this and have just dealt with this usability issue (I say usability issue because time and time again, at least for newer JIRA users, they have exclaimed "where did all of my issues go!?" when they were all just closed so were not being shown under the project's default Open filter).

0 votes
TRC Healthcare October 24, 2016

@Geoff Wilson did you come up with any answers on this?

0 votes
Keith August 18, 2016

I have this same question. Has an answer come your way?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events