Is it possible to view a Sub-task Commit in the Devlopment panel of the Parent issue?

Guy Anela November 16, 2016

We have a user that says he was able to include multiple JIRA keys (Parent Key and and Sub-task Keys) in his Commit message and then view the Sub-task commits on the Development panel when viewing the Parent issue.

Is/was this possible? We recently upgraded our JIRA from 6.0.8 to 7.2.1 and he's saying that he thought it use to work before the upgrade.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2016

No. On any issue, be it subtask or parent issue, you can only see the commits related to that issue. You cannot see the subtask commits on the parent issue.

Guy Anela November 16, 2016

Thanks Jobin!  I just came across this Open "Suggestion" ticket as well... https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-39327

Guy Anela November 17, 2016

Hey Jobin - I have a follow up question. There appears to have been a miscommunication. The user was actually complaining that he's not seeing the "commits" link in the Development panel when viewing the Sub-task in JIRA. His Commit message looks like this in Fisheye...

PROJECT-123: This is the Parent Task
- PROJECT-456: This is the Sub-task

He sees the "commits" link when viewing the PROJECT-123 parent Task ticket in JIRA , BUT he does NOT see the "commits" link when viewing the PROJECT-456 Sub-task ticket. Should he see it in the Sub-task? If so, is there specific syntax that should be used in the Commit message to get it to work?

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated. ...thanks in advance!

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2016

Yes, commits related to subtasks should be visible on the subtask. There is no difference in syntax. As long as the commit message has the subtask key, the commit will be visible under the development panel of that subtask.

Guy Anela November 18, 2016

K, thanks! Any thoughts on why it wouldn't show up under the Development panel for the Sub-task in the above example? Just to be clear, that's one commit message with two JIRA Keys in it (NOT two separate Commit messages). Thanks again!

Guy Anela November 18, 2016

Nevermind, I was able to confirm this myself. It does in fact look like the preceding hyphen is causing the problem. Here's another example I came across that confirms this...

Sample Commit Message with multiple JIRA Keys:

Merge pull request #594 from test-repo
Includes Bugs
- BUG-1 Page load is very slow
- BUG-2 Inability to Run the Compiler before setup
- BUG-3 Most of the fields don't have Use Default Value option
BUG-4 Wrong default value on Price field
BUG-5 Multiple plugins cannot be run

Notice some have preceding hyphens and others do not. The commits successfully show in JIRA for BUG-4 and BUG-5 but NOT for BUG-1, BUG-2, and BUG-3.

Suggest an answer