Is it possible to organise issues in a given column based on priority (or better still a value from a custom field)?

JIRA v6.4.9 with Agile. 

Currently, my issues get ordered into swimlanes based on JQL queries. These can then be further organised based on ranking - where the issues can be dragged and dropped into the desired position. 

Instead of dragging and dropping, it would be preferable if these issues could automatically be ordered based on an input value from a custom field (E.g. Importance: 1-100). 

Is this possible?!

If this could be done based on the system field, priority, it would be something. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Accepted answer

Sure, add a "Order By" to the board filter. You can use any field in the issues you want. Of course it should be common to all issues types and make sense to use it.

Be aware you will not be able to change the order by dragging an issue once this is done.

Success! Thank you

YEA!!!     smile

Ahh this has created problems actually. Applying a different filter works fine with a kanban board. However, it doesn't look like scrum boards behave very well with anything other than 'ORDER BY rank'.

If I ORDER BY custom_field, Create sprint is grayed out and I'm no longer able to move issues from the backlog into an existing sprint. Is there any way around this that you're aware of??

Many thanks

No.  You need the ranking for the boards to do what they're designed to do.  Trying to sort by anything other than rank doesn't make a lot of sense for sprints, so it doesn't really work.

Sorry, I have been working with Kanban for to long...

Possible work around would be to have two versions of the "board" one with Order by Rank to allow you to administer your sprint and one with the custom field? Not sure how convoluted that would be, Just thinking...

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Asked Thursday in Jira Ops

I'm John Allspaw, Ask Me Anything about incident analysis and postmortems

I'm John Allspaw, co-founder of   Adaptive Capacity Labs, where we help teams use their incidents to learn and improve. We bring research-driven methods and approaches to drive effective inciden...

464 views 2 5
View question

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you