Is it possible to connect multiple JIRA instances to one Confluence instance?

Jeff McCracken May 10, 2016

We currently have multiple Confluence instances that I would like to reduce to one.  The problem is that we have multiple JIRA instances that likely will have to remain separate (due to coordination effort to use central JIRA system).

Can a single Confluence system be integrated with multiple JIRA systems and still have all the macros in both systems work properly?  Eg. display of JIRA issues in confluence.

1 answer

1 vote
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2016

Hey Jeff!

Totally!  Just add the multiple JIRA instances as application links, and you should be set.  I believe you may need to set one as primary, but they should all still work with macros, issue linking, etc.

Here's some light reading material:

Linking Atlassian Applications

Just be sure that the JIRA instances have different base URLs, etc., and you should be fine.

Good luck!

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2016

Jeff,

I have done that here as well. The only caveat to this is subscribing to the JIRA Gadget Feeds. It will do it just fine. However, this will be a training issue you need to deal with. The problem is that all of them look exactly the same in the macro selection window for External Data and can ONLY be differed by hovering over the URL link for the gadget to see where it's coming from. This is a bit of a PITA but still works fine when used.

Mike

Jeff McCracken May 11, 2016

Mike/Cody,

How does this work with the 'JIRA Issue' macro?  Both the Search and Create New Issue options appear to be pointing to a single JIRA instance (with no way to choose which one)?

Even if we set one as primary, there doesn't seem to be an option to switch to a different one (although maybe this is added to macro if I link another application?).

Jeff

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2016

IF you have them both set up as trusted applications to your system, you should get a drop down selector in the JIRA issue macro to point at the server you want to pull information from that you won't see until you are IN the macro and defining your JQL/Filter and display options.

I also just checked on my Confluence instance; when I select text and do the create issue thing from the popup, there is a drop down list of the servers to pick at the TOP of that dialog box just above the project selector. It'll default to your primary but the others are selectable. The fact that it is a dropdown is not obvious.

M Hoogenboom December 10, 2018

It doesn't work when you add for example the "Average Age Chart" to confluence. Even if I linked both Jira instances on application level and added the gadget feeds of both instance, I still have to use the source editor and edit the macro and point to the correct Jira instance. I first have to add a dummy filter to instance 1, then edit it and change the url and filter id to instance 2.

Does anyone know if there is a better way, or is this the only supported way?

Suggest an answer