Is it possible to add approval to a workflow?

Boluwatife Onafujabi May 22, 2018

I have a jira core account and i need a workflow for the finance team for procurement of items and we need different levels of approval. Please how can this be achieved using jira core and not service desk?

2 answers

1 vote
Jason Galea
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2018

Hi Boluwatife, 

Here is a way on how you can achive this. 

• On project the workflow, find the transition where you would like only the approver to change the status. (The transition is the link between the statuses)
  • Click on the transition and add a condition. Set it to allow only the approver to perform this transition. Probably you will be asked to choose a group and not a single user so you will have to create a group on JIRA and name it for example 'approvers'
  • Make sure to publish the workflow before testing the changes

Cheers,
Jason

Okay @Jason Galea thank you

Boluwatife Onafujabi May 23, 2018

Hello @Jason Galea so i tried creating my own workflow and added the conditions to it but it happens i can't find my board anymore. Any idea why? Because i could see it initiallyboard fail.PNG

Jason Galea
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2018

Hi @Boluwatife Onafujabi,

From the screenshot above, click settings and then you should find the workflow under 'Summary'

Edit the workflow from there and publish.

I have edited the workflow. I am saying the board view is no longer there after the workflow was published

Jason Galea
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2018

Try creating a test issue and after create a new board.

To create a new board click on the small arrow next to the Project name '(take a look at the screenshot you posted).

Then configure the board and go to the 'Columns' section. Drag and drop the statuses under the column accordingly. 

Clicking on the arrow brings the list of recent project

Jason Galea
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2018

Click the project you would like to modify and you should see a many on the left side. You should be able to create a new board from there.

Board.PNG

Oh i get but this is only possible in a software project. I am dealing with a core (business) project 

Jason Galea
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2018

Only Scrum is limited for software projects. You should be able to create a Kanban Board

Jason Galea
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2018

Glad you managed :) Your welcome

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2018

Hello @Boluwatife Onafujabi

You can achieve this in JIRA core, as I have done something similar multiple times. Basically, if you have workflow steps A and B then the issue can only go from A to B if someone click on the "approval" button which is a transition in the workflow. And when someone clicks on it the name of the user who clicked on it along with the timestamp can be updated in the custom fields present on the issue screen.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2018

You would need a plugin like JSU for this purpose to use the post-function 

"Update Any Issue Field (JSU)"

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2018

Thank you @Tarun Sapra but it is a jira cloud account and the plugin is for a server account

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2018

Hello @Boluwatife Onafujabi

If you don't want to update custom fields with information as to who "approved" (as this is helpful in audit) then you can follow the approach suggested by @Jason Galea as in this case you just need to create a transition and add a condition as to who can "approve" or make that transition happen. 

But if you still want to go ahead with populating custom fields on cloud, you can check out Script runner for cloud.

But it's a paid add-on

http://scriptrunner-docs.connect.adaptavist.com/jiracloud/post-functions.html#_post_functions

Suggest an answer