Integration with Microsoft Teams

Does anyone know how to integrate Jira (core, service desk and/or software) with MIcrosoft Teams Tab? I know there's a connector, but not a tab, where you can actually manage issues from Microsoft Teams like you were inside Jira.

8 answers

I've added MS Teams "Website" tabs with Jira URLs to MS Teams Channels.

I'm not sure what you are looking for, but I did this to group channels and their relevant Jira pages.  The Jira pages are embedded in the resp. MS Teams tab - although personally I prefer to open them in a separate browser window.

This is what I'm doing and it works great. Each user will need to authenticate to the tab but it save a lot of time and navigation needs. 

Add the Jira Cloud tab to your team this enables Set up options found by following these steps:

1. Go to the [Apps] tab within Manage team screen view
    • tabs -> [Members] [Pending Requests] [Channels] [Settings] [Apps]
  2. Open the Jira Cloud utility by selecting the description text 
    • the only action icon here is delete - which is misleading - do not delete, selecting the text in the middle of the row
  3. Once open find the word --> Available <-- this opens the options that the  'options' dropdown arrow only displays.
  4. A new window opens and now you have Set up options

NOW - ALTHOUGH IT SAYS JIRA CLOUD AND ONLY DISPLAYS 4 OPTIONS: BOT, TAB, CONNECTOR, MESSAGING...

• You can have as many connections as you'd like for each option.
  • Jira Server and Jira Cloud and JSD all will connect from here

PITFALLS

• Messaging and Bot Search - do not search or find issues by the issue numbers
  • JQL queries are done from Atlassian Admin webhook panel
  • Consider limiting notification a single team with multiple notification on channels or you run the risk to distracting the team with your workflow.
  • ....I could go on and on, you're welcome to contact me with questions. Since implementing Teams I've basically become an Application Manager vs Project Management since it basically requires attention full time. Oh how we miss HipChat.
Like 1 person likes this

Additional question: The integration mentioned above works by sending  Jira data through a third party site, that does not meet our data security requirements are there any other options

Hi @Sandra Stevenson-Revill

The integration above does not send any data to any 3rd party sites (if you are talking about Jira/Confluence/Bitbucket Server Apps. 

The data goes directly to Microsoft Teams.

Like 1 person likes this

this listing states '

This vendor has not completed the security self-assessment.

Cloud app vendors are encouraged to complete a yearly self-assessment of their data security practices. This information is self-reported by vendors, and Atlassian is not responsible for the security or integrity of this app.'

and when you go to install it says:

Microsoft Teams for Jira Cloud may store your data on SoftServe's server so it can integrate with your JIRA instance. As needed for integration, this add-on can:

• Delete JIRA data
  • Write data to JIRA
  • Read JIRA data

By installing the app, you agree to SoftServe's privacy policy.

OK, it is not us (Move Work Forward) and you presented the standard template text.

Does you solution work with Jira cloud??

0 votes
Jason Worley Atlassian Team Aug 30, 2017

There is a connector on Marketplace: 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/jira-microsoft-teams-connector/cloud/overview

I'm sorry I haven't tested the connector myself, but hoping it helps you proceed or least be aware of more options. 

Thanks. I will as I mentioned in my question it doesn't do what I want as it simply posts notifications in a channel about certain events in jira. 

What I'm looking for is a tab that basically will display jira from within the team as an iframe. 

Such tab exists for Astana and wrike.

I'm looking for a similar connector for Bitbucket.  The one on the Marketplace appears to be broken.  Any thoughts?

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/bitbucket-microsoft-teams-connector/cloud/overview

Thanks,

Marc

Any luck with this?

In need of a connection betwee our Jira instance and MS teams. 

I would like to have Jira issues visible in teams. And furthermore commits visible in Jira tickets.

Anyone any advise?

Hello, the bots are freely available within teams already.  In teams, click the elipses (...) next to the channel name.  Select Connectors.   Jira, Trello and Bitbucket are listed.   Click configure.

It will typically walk you through how to setup.  For jira, its all webhook configuration.

Please don't buy an addon you don't need to buy.  Try the one that comes with teams first.

Can you provide a link to further documentation on adding those connectors within Teams and whether they are part of a beta program or need to be installed by an admin?  My tenant only shows MS owned connectors ( VSTS, Yammer, Dynamics 365, etc )

Hi Matt, here's a reference from The university of Wisconsin.

You should be an admin of the team, and an admin in Jira.

Right click the channel and select connectors.

image0.png

Select Jira.

image1.png

IS there an equivalent for Teams and Jira but with Jira on premise?

Hi Tony, I run Teams with the Jira integration with Jira On Premise.   The same documentation as above applies.

Are you sure about that?  Our company is trying to decide on Slack, Microsoft Teams, or other solutions and it seems that the Teams integration requires "JIRA Cloud for microsoft Teams" add-on, which is only available for JIRA Cloud.  It doesn't seem on-prem is supported

Unless you go for Hipchat or Stride, you're going to have to mess around with add-ons to get your Atlassian stuff to talk to you.

I'm only seeing the same as @Matt Sauer. In Teams for Mac, there are only about a half-dozen connectors from Microsoft apps. Nothing from JIRA or any others for that matter. Is there something that needs to happen with the Teams account to see the rest of the connectors?

Actually, I found the connector list is unbelievably short in the Teams app for Mac. Found the connector by going into the Teams web app in Chrome.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reference @Kane McConnell because it reminded me I never posted back my solution.  I didn't have access to our O365 Admin Center so I worked with a Global admin to add additional available apps.  This is done in the Admin Center > Settings > Services & add-ins > Teams > Apps.  By default only a few were selected ( presumably based on what was available upon our tenant creation).

There's a message that this administration is moving to a new separate admin portal for teams and skype.  I don't see the apps settings in my view currently within that portal but there may be different instructions to accomplish this in the near future.

Before using the connector, read the rules for using this extension. Using Jira addon for MS Teams you give the developer Softserve Inc. (Ukraine) the right to use all the contacts in a group (contacts of your employees and clients who are working on the project). For me this is not permissible and I'm looking for another solution.

0 votes

@Josiah Sansone I'm 100% using teams and on prem jira.    In teams, select the jira connector, it will walk you through how to make a webhook in Jira to talk to teams.

@Gregory Van Den Ham I figured it out - the connector is now called "JIRA Cloud", but once you install it, it provides a webhook that works in either on-prem or Cloud.  thanks!

Awesome, and thanks for the feedback! :)

Do you know if it is somehow possible to create jira tickets from within teams? am using Jira server.

Not currently.  The MS Teams team was still working on a bunch of functionality to the entire product right now last I checked.  They have a roadmap published here.

What version of JIRA Server are you using?  We're on 7.2.0 and I'm unable to configure the connector as you have described.

Also on-prem problem

My JIRA server is in Intranet
How can it connect with the Microsoft teams

This tools only send notification to Teams about the issue create/modify from JIRA, I would like to explore the way to allow create/modify issue from Teams to JIRA

Hi Alicia.  It works onprem as long as jira can talk to the internet and you setup webhooks as described.   

Teams to jira integration - I haven’t seen developed yet.  Slack does it as I recall but teams not yet.   Command line stuff for teams is in roadmap.

@Gregory Van Den Hamand @Ajeesh Damodaran,

I have a functional "Create Issue" button in my Teams.

However, the columns I use in the Filter are ignored by Teams.  (bummer!).

CreateIssue Button.png

I was on 7.5.0 and the Jira Cloud connector was working fine.

I then try the Incoming Webhook by Move Work Forward. This one did not work in 7.5.0. I then upgraded Jira server (on-prem) to 7.9.2 and tried again and it worked.

I am now able to get the push notification from Jira -> MS Teams.

How do I configure for the write back from MS Teams -> into my on-premise Jira server?

What do you want to be able to do from Microsoft Teams?

post chat and file share back into Jira.

Thanks for your responses.  Another team member was able to configure the webhooks with MS teams. 

What do you mean by that @Michelle Bachmann?

The work done by anyone or with the team member or any activity with JIRA is notified by the Microsoft teams in a particular channel. For noise reduction one may have to filter notifications and must aware of all.Microsoft Office Support

0 votes

Is it possible to get the Jira Cloud kanban or sprint boards visible in Microsoft Teams?

I think Microsoft demonstrated this with VSTS but I haven't seen it yet for Jira, some of that functionality microsoft has been developing with their plugin.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Organizing your space just got easier - Page Tree Drag & Drop is here

Hi Community! I’m Elaine, Confluence Product Manager. You may have read my earlier post about page tree in space navigation sidebar. I'm excited to share another improvement that helps you organize ...

72 views 3 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you