Install Jira Core with Jira Software

Alvin Shi September 27, 2018

Hi There,

I have JIRA Software (server) installed and it is connected with a MySQL database "jiradb".

Now I am adding JIRA Core on top of JIRA Software, so my questions are:

* Can Jira Core be installed on the same server with Jira Software and How?
* How is Service Desk handled in the database? 
* Would the tables for JIRA Core be added in the same database "jiradb"? 
* If they can be installed on the same server, how could people access to the different applications (Core/Software)?

If you could please answer the above questions, that would be greatly appreciated. 

BTW, I'm not sure does the following picture mean Jira Core has been installed already?

WeChat Screenshot_20180928110108.png

Regards,

Alvin

2 answers

1 vote

Ahh.... I might get it now. 

Am I right about the followings?:

* If I purchased Jira Software then there is no need to purchase Jira Core, because Jira Core is included with Jira Software

* I can see there are two types of projects Business/Software, that means I have both Jira Software and Core running seamlessly. 

* Basically, I have wasted $10 for Jira Core license since I have already got 10 users license for Jira Software. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2018

Not quite.  Installation and purchase are different things.

If you install Jira Software, then yes, you have core because Software needs to run on top of it.

You can buy licences for Core and licences for Software.  If you grant a user Core access, they'll be able to use all the Core functions.  If you grant a Software licence to a user, then they get access to Core and Software functions.

You do not switch between them, the users just get access to functions depending on their licence.

You can ask for a refund if you have bought in error.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2018

You don't need to do this.

Jira Software is an Application that runs on the Jira Platform.  The Jira Platform is "Core".  So if you're running Software, you already have Core, because you have to have Core to run Software on!

Core handles a lot of the structure automatically, including providing the database access for applications and apps that you might add to it (including Software and Service Desk).  It's all one database.

Users simply go to the base url of Jira, everything runs under that.

Thank you very much for quick reply. 

Referring to that picture, do I need to upgrade Jira Core to the latest version?

Also, how do I know that which application Core or Software I am using after I login? 

Cheers,

and also if we already have Jira Core how come there are only "0 used" with the licence?

How could we start to use Jira Core?

Thank you very much!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2018

You don't need to upgrade Core, unless the new version has new/changed features that you want, or fixes for problems you need fixed.  Atlassian release quite frequently - far more often than most people would like to upgrade. 

As an example, the people I work for offer a "managed service" - we run Atlassian stuff for you on our servers, using the Server or Data Centre versions of them.  The usual packages includes one or two upgrades a year as part of the service, rather than Atlassian's 6-8 a year.  Core upgrades are not trivial.

What you are using as a user comes down to the licences.  With your setup, you can licence people for Core or Software.  (Software and Service Desk licences include Core access).  So you could have something like 100 Core users, and another 25 Software users.  All 125 get all the functionality that comes with core, but only the 25 Software people have access to Scrum, Kanban and Agility boards. 

You control who gets the licences via the application access stuff.

as you can see in that picture attached, I've purchased both Jira Software and Core for 10 users. 

But my problem now is I could not figure out how could I use them both, and how do I switch between Software and Core?

Really appreciated your help. Cheers, 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events