In JQL, how do I handle Field names that contain spaces

Nick Cooper January 24, 2018

I have a requirement to define expressions using JQL. 

I would like to reference a field called "Epic Link". However, this field name has a space in it which is causing confusion when processing the command.

The obvious expression to use would be something like 'Epic Link = "xxxx"'. However this returns an error which states "Expecting operator but got ‘Link’" which suggests that the space in the field name has been interpreted to mark the end of the field name.

So, what should I my expression look like?

I have tried the obvious things; putting the field name in quotes or brackets, substituting the space with characters like underscore, removing the space, but not had any luck.

The only online help I've found on this so far is at https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver073/advanced-searching-861257209.html#Advancedsearching-epic_linkEpiclink but this just lists the field names (including spaces) and tells me how to handle the contents of text fields but not the field names themselves.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Nick Cooper

(Note, My requirement is to filter data being pulled from Jira into another application - the JQL expressions are to be written in the other application so it is possible the application I'm using is not processing the expressions correctly. I have contacted the support team for the other application as well to check this.)

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2018

Maybe I did not understand your question but your JQL would look like this

"Epic Link" = "IssueKey"

0 votes
Nick Cooper January 24, 2018

Thanks very much for your quick response!

yes, that's the kind of advice I'm looking for. Though I have tried several things like this to no avail, e.g.:

"Epic Link" = "xxxx"

[Epic Link] = "xxxx"

Epic_Link = "xxxx"

etc.

You suggest that the first of these should work? At the moment it doesn't work for me. I shall keep poking. As I said though, I'm writing this JQL query in another application, so it's possible that application is at fault.

Thanks again,

Nick

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2018

Could you tell more from where you are trying to call the JQL query?

Nick Cooper January 25, 2018

Hello,

I'm using Aha!

I have also been notified by our IT Dept that we've been having some 'network issues'. This may explain why my email client keeps saying "Trying to connect..." and may also be the cause of my problem between Aha! and Jira.

I have re-tried the process using your advice above and it has just worked!

Thanks very much for your help

Nick

Like Ravikumar.Selvasekaran likes this
rajesh_tn April 23, 2020

Hello

I am tryng fetch records from backlog in my scrum board  using JQL query. Please let me know how to  fetch records  from backlog for specify team member and sprint as 'Space'. Someone can  help me on JQL.

Rajesh. TN

Ciro.Theodoro May 27, 2020

Hi Rajesh,

Did you get an answer to your question? I'm facing the same...

Thanks,

Ciro

rajesh_tn May 27, 2020

Hi Ciro,

I didn't get answer for my question.

Thanks

Rajesh. TN

Ciro.Theodoro May 28, 2020

Hi Rajesh,

I was trying to find the answer to the same question and you probably can use single quote (')... for example:

project=CA AND Sprint = 'Sprint 07' AND assignee='ciro theodoro' order by created DESC

Not sure this is what you were looking for.

Thanks,

Ciro

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer