Import list of data in drop down custom field?

Hi,

I have a huge list of data to import to a drop down field.

I know we can do this via script runner but I wanted to know if we could do it without buying any add on? 

Thank you,

Naw

1 answer

1 accepted

1 votes

Create a dummy project that uses the field.

Create CSV with two columns - summary and field value (you can use the same value for each line!)

Import the CSV into the empty project - it will create one issue per line, and, if you configure it correctly for import, create a new option for each one in your new field.

Delete the project, it won't affect your field

Hey Nic,

Thank you for your answer but I wanted some clarification. 

First I will create a new project and add a new drop down custom field called (XYZ).

Next, I will create a csv file and have summary and XYZ columns

Summary XYZ

Test 1        X

Test 2        Y

Test 3         Z

This will create 3 new issues.

I will then assign this drop down to a the other project and delete the new dummy project?

Is this correct?

Pretty much. The only thing I'd change is the last bit - when you create the new field, put it in both the dummy and target project(s), or even make it global. One less step basically.

Sounds like this is adding values to each ticket. How about adding default values to a drop down list for one custom field being used for any ticket in the project? Is there a way to do this without manually typing into Jira from admin area?

Yes, it does, and then later, we delete the project to get rid of the issue data we don't need.  This and the gui are the only ways to add at the moment.

Thanks, I am attempting to import a test file, but a field is not available on the list in the mapping step. I noticed the fields not available are indicated as "...created by JIM during import process" on the "issues->Custom fields" page. Any tips? Actually I think just got it. The field needs to be global to all projects.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

498 views 1 15
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot