Import list of data in drop down custom field?

NAW December 21, 2015

Hi,

I have a huge list of data to import to a drop down field.

I know we can do this via script runner but I wanted to know if we could do it without buying any add on? 

Thank you,

Naw

1 answer

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2015

Create a dummy project that uses the field.

Create CSV with two columns - summary and field value (you can use the same value for each line!)

Import the CSV into the empty project - it will create one issue per line, and, if you configure it correctly for import, create a new option for each one in your new field.

Delete the project, it won't affect your field

NAW December 21, 2015

Hey Nic,

Thank you for your answer but I wanted some clarification. 

First I will create a new project and add a new drop down custom field called (XYZ).

Next, I will create a csv file and have summary and XYZ columns

Summary XYZ

Test 1        X

Test 2        Y

Test 3         Z

This will create 3 new issues.

I will then assign this drop down to a the other project and delete the new dummy project?

Is this correct?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2015

Pretty much. The only thing I'd change is the last bit - when you create the new field, put it in both the dummy and target project(s), or even make it global. One less step basically.

Cyndi Chu (x388) June 29, 2017

Sounds like this is adding values to each ticket. How about adding default values to a drop down list for one custom field being used for any ticket in the project? Is there a way to do this without manually typing into Jira from admin area?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2017

Yes, it does, and then later, we delete the project to get rid of the issue data we don't need.  This and the gui are the only ways to add at the moment.

Cyndi Chu (x388) June 29, 2017

Thanks, I am attempting to import a test file, but a field is not available on the list in the mapping step. I noticed the fields not available are indicated as "...created by JIM during import process" on the "issues->Custom fields" page. Any tips? Actually I think just got it. The field needs to be global to all projects.

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 15, 2020

I realize this is an older thread but this solution doesn't work for loading values into a custom field. If they don't already exist it creates a set of warnings that says the entries can't be added to the Custom Field or am I missing a step?

Like Karen likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 15, 2020

Yes, but I think you already realised that.

The steps here are just for adding data to an existing field across a swathe of issues, data that already has existing options in the field definition.  It's not for creating a field from scratch.  You should however find a flag that says "if option in my CSV does not exist, add it"

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 18, 2020

Thanks for the reply Nic. You are correct, I was looking for a way to add a set of values to the custom field to update it. It's a Select List (single choice) that almost all of the values have changed so I was hoping to easily update it. The error I received was the following:

The value [ {null=BD0001: BD Pursuits} ] can't be added to the Custom Field [ Project #: ]. The value [ {null=BD0001: BD Pursuits} ] can't be found or is in the incorrect format

I don't remember seeing the flag to add it but if I understand you it won't help me add it to the Options list. I was hoping to avoid more add-ons (like Scriptrunner) even though I suspect I am going to run into this problem again. I'm also not a programmer by trade.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events