Import/Export of OnDemand JIRA projects to a server version

Bruno BLAISE April 7, 2016

I need to backup a JIRA instance from atlassian.net and the version of JIRA is

Version7.2.0-OD-05-023
Numéro d'édition72002

How do I do if I need to restore this backup within a JIRA Core Server version 7.0.9?

1 answer

0 votes
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2016

It is not recommended to restore cloud backup to an older version of JIRA server - check these instructions

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver070/migrating-from-jira-cloud-to-server-applications-749382720.html

If you still want to restore the backup on older version you can do this by modifying the build number in the backup xml file so it matches the server version, so JIRA will allow you to restore the backup, but you might encounter unexpected issues in case there are major schema changes between 7.0.9 and 7.2.0

crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 7, 2016

"Not recommended" is putting it mildly.  Atlassian does not support you doing this at all.  If you want to move from JIRA Cloud to JIRA Core Server, you will need to use the most recent release of it, which is currently 7.1.4.

Chris, you are on the point.

Even if I upgrade to JlRA Core latest version, it is not enough to import from JIRA Cloud... JIRA Cloud is using a version impossible to align with JIRA Core. Already in version 7.2 for the cloud and still version 7.1.4 for the core...

When JIRA core will be align with the version 7.2, then the cloud will use another version... etc etc

crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 7, 2016

Well, no, it doesn't work that way.

As the link Boris gave above explains, we do support a downgrade from the version that is cloud to the absolute latest version of server.  So at present we support exporting from Cloud and importing to 7.1.4.  You do not need to wait until JIRA Core 7.2 is released to be able to import.

Unless we expressly announce a blackout period, exporting from Cloud to the most recent JIRA Server version is always supported, regardless of the version numbers involved.

But 7.0.9 is not the latest version of server that we have released, so it is not supported.

Chris, thanks for this precision and it is now cristal clear. I upgrade my testing environment asap to the version 7.1.4 and then I will retry the restore,

I hope that in the meanwhile, the cloud will not be upgraded... wink

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2016

If the cloud is upgraded that should not be a problem as JIRA will handle the data upgrade. 

Bruno BLAISE April 12, 2016

I'm back with a bad news... sad

I did the upgrade as proposed by @Chris Fuller and same problem except the target JIRA build number is different...

The message received is:

This data appears to be from an older version of JIRA. 
Please upgrade the data and try again.
The current version of JIRA is at build number '71008',
but the supplied backup file was for build number '72002'.

And now, what can I do???

Lisbé Juin - Make Me App April 12, 2016

Hello, I have the same problem.... Someone have the solution please ? It's very embarrasing :/

crf
Atlassian Team
April 12, 2016

This usually means that somebody has made a mistake.  If you find that you are unable to export from Cloud and import into the currently released version of the downloadable versions of JIRA, then this is a bug.

Please open a support request on support.atlassian.com.

Aleksandr Zaldak May 27, 2016

I have the some problem! I'm fed-up with those copy/paste nonsenses support team says now days. WE aren't stupid as you think.

Failed to start JIRA due to a build number inconsistency.
The data present in your database is newer than the version of JIRA you are trying to startup.
Database build number: 72002
JIRA app build number: 71011
Please use the correct version of JIRA. You are running: 7.1.7#71011-sha1:2526d7c13af2ab43673b0a163ceecff6fe735c9c

According to you posts, v7.1.7#71011- is supported, Why genius I can't import it then ?!

Aleksandr Zaldak May 27, 2016

RE "It is not recommended to restore cloud backup to an older version of JIRA server - check these instructions" ...

Tell me PLEASE how to merge two cloud instances then?! Or just be able to migrate one of the local instances to the existing JIRA on Demand ?!

Thank you

Suggest an answer