I have an active sprint that I can't find and need to close

Brett Biba April 1, 2016

I have an active sprint that I can't find and need to close. Is there somewhere I can see just a list of sprints so that I can easily close it out?

4 answers

1 accepted

14 votes
Answer accepted
Brett Biba April 5, 2016

What i had to do was assign an issue to the Sprint so that I would have the option to switch to it in the Active Sprints board. Then I was able to complete the Sprint.

Keeley Nakamoto November 30, 2019

This was so helpful. Thank you!

Alvaro Munoz December 2, 2019

yep, worked for me too. Thanks

Jan Willem van Woudenberg June 10, 2020

does not work for me. If I select the old active sprint that I want to cloes. It opens de board with the current active sprint and not the old active sprint. And it's not an active sprint from an old closed project cause I can select it in my filter after selecting my current project.

4 votes
Alvaro Munoz March 8, 2019

Also I realize that if you delete a project / board and it had active sprints, they keep there forever. Don't know how to delete them. 

1 vote
Michael Partyka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2016

Hi,

first of all check if you can see this sprint in jql:

use sth like this: sprint="Name of the important sprint for you"

https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-user-s-guide/working-with-sprints

Here you have all information about ending a sprint:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-user-s-guide/working-with-sprints/ending-a-sprint

Brett Biba April 1, 2016

It shows up as having no issues in a search query and it auto completes for Sprint fields and is show as active. However the Ending Sprints doc asks me to select an Agile drop down which I do not have:

1. Click the Agile link's down-arrow in the top navigation bar, then select your preferred board from the resulting dropdown menu.
  2. Click Active sprints.
  3. If necessary, select the sprint you want to complete from the sprint dropdown.
  4. Click the Complete Sprint button.

It does not show in the Backlog view like my other Active Sprints.

Peter Kahn March 5, 2019

So, I can find the issues associate with the sprint.  I cannot find the board associated with the sprint so I lack access to the sprint close controls

Jan Willem van Woudenberg October 16, 2020

same here

Saskia Hoppe December 24, 2020

Had the same issue - I cleaned up projects that had random sprints associated with them. Took a bit of playing around but was able to get to those miscellaneous sprints and delete them.

Assign an issue to the sprint. Go to the backlog of the issue's project. The sprint now shows up and you can do with what you want.

0 votes
Stan the man January 6, 2021

Sprint lives in boards, not in issues you need to find where that sprint lives and go to that board and close it over there sometimes according to the combination of project and board permissions you shouldn't have the ability to close that sprint even when is showing up in your board I will get back to you when I have the way of knowing in which board the sprint lives, first of all, you need to get the sprint ID by using a JQL auto-complete feature then use APIs to get the board where it was created, more instructions to follow

Stan the man January 6, 2021

Ok, found it.

With that sprint_ID you can query the REST API as follows:

<your server base URL>/rest/agile/1.0/sprint/sprint_ID

it will give you the originBoardId number that you can use to go to that board.

then you can go to your board by using it as shown below:

<your server base URL>/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=originBoardId

you need to have permissions on that board to close the sprint or even view that board

Reference: https://docs.atlassian.com/jira-software/REST/7.0.4/#agile/1.0/sprint-getSprint

Gil Groman January 19, 2021

Very helpful! 
Thank you

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events