I dont see epics listed on swimlines

Negar Masarrat December 13, 2016

On my Kanban board, I based swimlanes on EpicsScreen Shot 2016-12-13 at 11.44.35 AM.png

but on my board, when I click on swimlanes, none of the epics show up

What am I missing?

23 answers

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2016

Oh! That's probably an issue. That looks screwed up...... I am not sure what to say! I think you might need Atlassian Support on this one...

0 votes
Teri Michaels December 15, 2016

There are no Options available for the Issue type, and the default with options is no configured for any context???

image2016-12-15 15:20:12.png

0 votes
Teri Michaels December 15, 2016

Is the "Mark as Done" option always available in OnDemand? I do not see this option.

I am also not able to edit the Epic Status manually (adding the field in the screen) or by the workflow post function to edit custom field value.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2016

Huh. Well, that could be because of properties on your Workflow Step that prevent you from editing the issue. The Default JIRA Workflow and Classic Workflow for instance prevents you from editing Closed issues.

0 votes
Negar Masarrat December 14, 2016

I get this error message when I want to "Mark as Done" manuallyScreen Shot 2016-12-14 at 2.04.14 PM.png

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 14, 2016

If you read my other answer, https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/35771750, it's explained there.

Basically, Epics are used on the board sidebar and instead of using a workflow to decide if they are complete or not, they use a custom field called Epic Status with values of To Do, In Progress, and Done. You can control this field with the workflow, so it can work as you expect. But the logic is separated and you must know that.

image2016-12-14 13:38:38.png

Clicking the Mark as Done button will set Epic Status to Done, but WON'T change the issue Status.

You can instead rely on the workflow and your query, but then you might run into BlueOpen Epics that are Marked as Done (via the Epic Status field).

0 votes

with this query:

project = "Little Passports" AND (issuetype = Epic AND status != Closed OR issuetype != Epic) AND (component is EMPTY OR component != UX) ORDER BY Rank ASC

it works fine!

is there any effect of using "closed" instead of "done"?

0 votes

ok - I changed teh query and still see the epics. I think the problem is that my epics are "Closed" and not "done". and I do not see any options for moving them to "Done".  Is it because of my workflow?

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 1.18.58 PM.png

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 14, 2016

I'll have to try and reproduce this myself. This works fine with the Scrum board, so perhaps it's a bug with the Kanban board. If I find an open bug or open one, I'll link it here.

In the meantime, you could try to filter them out of the base query – 

(type = Epic AND "Epic Status != Done OR type != Epic) AND project = "Little Passports" AND (component is EMPTY OR component != UX) ORDER BY Rank ASC
0 votes

I have many closed epics with status = done and included tasks are done as well, but they still show up! 

0 votes

Thanks!

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 13, 2016

That's a very different problem. I'd propose you tackle it head on and fix the issue. Basically, Epics use their own field called Epic Status. If Epic Status = Done, then the epics fall off.

You can use a post-function to set this field to the right values within the workflow. I answered this in greater depth in this older Answer and comments. https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/35771750

0 votes

and now, how can I show only NOT closed epics? 

0 votes

Yes!!! thank you!!! working perfectly now smile

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 13, 2016

Oh! Oh Oh Oh! Please check this out! 

The sidebar is a new feature, and must be turned on -

image2016-12-13 15:53:16.png

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/configuring-columns-764477997.html#Configuringcolumns-enablingkanbanbacklog

0 votes

when I stop excluding Epics in the query and set the swimlanes to Epic, I see swimlanes in Kanban board view but I still dont see them on backlog view - even when I click on "versions" to expand it

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 13, 2016

If you stop excluding Epics in the query and set the swimlanes to Epic, you should get what you want.

0 votes

but what if I want to see only tasks/stories/bugs on board, and want them to be categorized by their epics?

my query is project = "Little Passports" AND issuetype != Epic AND (component is EMPTY OR component != UX) ORDER BY Rank ASC

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 13, 2016

Yes, the image works.

You'll still need to include the Epics in the query, otherwise it doesn't know what to do. Can you share your query?

0 votes

Is it visible now?

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 13, 2016

I can't see your image. It's not available for me. 

0 votes

I did not want my epics to be shown on he board, I just wanted them to show up on the list when I drill down on  swim lanes/version so I filtered them on my query.

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 2.49.10 PM.png
If I take out the filter from board query and set the swimlanes on epics, how can I show them as separate colored lines on the screen shot above?
Thanks!
0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 13, 2016

Are any Epics returned by your query?

Suggest an answer