How to view All projects in a single scroll-able page instead of various numbered pages

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2016

Hi, We've upgraded from JIRA 6 to JIRA 7.0.10

The "View All Projects" tab is changed in the newer version, and all the projects are showed in numbered pages, unlike the previous version. 

I'd like to view all the projects like they appeared in previous version. Or make all projects appear in a single scroll-able page instead of separate pages.

Capture.PNG

(*see the link*)

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2016

You'll need to hack the core code that provides this view to switch it to another format.

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2016

You mean to say make changes in the source code?  

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2016

Well, you might be able to get away with just editing the distributed files, rather than what I think of as "source code", but it's still hacking the distributed code.

(To my mind "source code" means "blocks of text that have to be compiled into stuff that runs".  In this case, you might get away with hacking a .vm or .jsp file - these are still "code", but they are plain text and are not compiled - the server uses them as instructions to build html to send to the browser when it needs them.  So you can change them directly, and restart JIRA.  With source code, you'd have to change it, recompile the classes, put the compiled classes into JIRA and restart it)

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2016

Okay thanks, 
do you have any idea where this file might be located?

Which file or template is responsible for that Browse all projects page?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 10, 2016

Check the url - I think it will be something like http://myserver/jira/someotherstuff/projectList.jspa?page=4

The bit you are interested in is the projectList.jspa - that is a generated jsp file which your browser is rendering after the server has built it.  It is generated by a file in the installation called projectList.jsp

The .jsp is the file you want to edit.  But I don't know exactly where it is, and worse, it may just contain calls back to JIRA Java to build the display.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 10, 2016

Oh, I also left out the standard advice.

Do not waste your time on this.  The changes Atlassian made have been made for a reason, which I would say is either "users preferred this view" or "large pages were leading to complaints of slowness, so we broke them up to get a good response back for the users" (There may be other reasons, but those are the two I'd suspect)

If you customise it, you're not going to be supported by Atlassian, and you're going to have to revist the changes on every move or upgrade.  It's really not worth the effort.

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2016

Thanks Nic, for pointing in the right path. 
You were right, it could be done by changing some variables in Jsp files.

Solution if anyone else might wanna do this thing

You'd need to locate following files: 

• BrowseProjectApp.js
  • BrowseProjectApp-min.js

So what do in both Browse Project App files is change the variable "pagesize" to the number of projects you wanna show in a single page. I set mine to 500 so  all of the projects would appear in a single page.  

Lastly, you might also wanna consider Nic's standard advice before applying this. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events