How to setup a sub-task to a step in workflow?

VanaeW March 28, 2016

JIRA newbie here - I have a workflow that manages a full process, involving different team members at each step in the workflow. I've been creating sub-tasks to the parent task but want to know if there's a better way.

Two questions:

1. Is it possible to setup a sub-task to a workflow step (instead of the parent issue level)?
  2. What is the best way to create a workflow that has sub-tasks with more than one user responsible for it?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2016

I am really sorry about this one.  I always try to allow for the different uses of English grammar we see when trying to explain problems, but this one has me stumped.

I don't know what "setup a sub-task to a step" means.  I think the problem is the "to", not because of the relation between parent and subtask, but because it does not explain it actively.  Do you mean you want sub-tasks to be created when you move from one step to another?  Or that the sub tasks should not be available until you reach a certain step in the workflow? Something else?

VanaeW March 29, 2016

Hey @Nic Brough [Adaptavist], thanks for trying to decipher and helping out here.

Yes, I would like 'sub-tasks to be created when moving from one step to another', relating a sub-task with particular step instead of the parent issue (since there is a different assignee for each step)

Hope that's more clear. Appreciate your help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2016

Ok, that does make sense.  There's a couple of things here

First, you need code to create sub-tasks like that.  There are add-ons you can get that will create one or many sub-tasks as a transition happens, although I usually have access to the script-runner add-on which can also do it (and be very flexible about it). 

The second point is about process, rather than an answer.  I'm not sure that creating sub-tasks is going to do what you want.  You can't "replace a step" with a sub-task.  A sub-task is an issue in its own right, with its own workflow.  If you create one on each transtion in a workflow, that's fine, but the parent still goes through the steps you've set up.  You just now have sub-tasks as well as the parent to deal with.  This is very useful in some situations, I just want to make sure you understand the impact of having sub-tasks created and the parent carrying on through the steps.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events