How to search for missing text

Alan July 20, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Search syntax for text fields

How do I use JQL to search for issues where "X does not contain Y", if X is a plain text field and Y is a particular word

I have tried "NOT X ~ Y", but that seems to give all issues where X contains something else apart from Y, but excludes all those issues where X is empty. I wish to include issues where X is empty in my results.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2016

Try adding:

OR X is EMPTY

You might need to use parenthesis appropriately if there are more required conditions.

Alan July 20, 2016

Thank you @Ignacio Gavier, that solved my problem exactly.

May I suggest that "EMPTY" be mentioned on the Search syntax for text fields page, especially as it is also not mentioned on the Query Parser Syntax page of the Lucene documentation which is linked thence

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2016

It might be a good idea that Atlassian referenced the the EMPTY keyword also there, besides of here.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events