How to retrieve list of available options for the custom dropdown

Yellalingh Margonda October 14, 2020

Hi Team

Can someone please help me know? how can i get the list of available options for the  custom dropdown. and what are the specific permissions needed. I have the jira admin access  

2 answers

0 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2020

Yellalingh,

I'd take a look at this article for more information about retrieving options through the Rest API. Basically, because a single custom field can have different options depending on the context, Atlassian doesn't have a single API to retrieve all options at once. Instead, you can get the options available for a specific context by calling the create issue meta end point. I believe this does require the custom field to be on the create screen within a project.

The article walks you through more information about what the end point returns.

Thanks!

Kian

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2020

What do you mean by "get"?  You can see, and alter, the options by going into Admin -> Custom fields and finding the field.

Yellalingh Margonda October 14, 2020

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  

I need to write a rest api, to get the dropdwon options  

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2020

There's not yet a direct way to get it, because custom fields can have contexts (and some system fields have variable lists), and they're not yet covered by the admin REST API

But, when you have the context, you can issue a simple "get create meta" call, giving a context (project and issue type) and then not bother to create an issue.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events