Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to restore Epic Link to Issues?

I accidentally changed an Epic, which was linked in thousands of issues, to a Task. This un-linked all of the Issues. Yes, major face-palm, I know.

Is there any way to restore the Epic Link to all of the Issues that previously had them?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Yair Spolter

I was able to reproduce the issue (obviously) but I don't really have good news. I couldn't find an easy way to restore the issues linked to that epic. However you can view the issues that were linked to the Epic in the history. Thus there's a way to figure our which issues were linked.

1. Simply open the Epic (that was accidentally changed to a task)
  2. On the bottom of the issue open the History tab:
    Screenshot 2018-08-19 at 17.11.05.jpg
  3. I was able to copy and paste this list as a table out of the history. Pasted it into a Google sheet and converted it to a JQL function (using some Sheet formula magic). See the sheet here.
  4. You can then use the JQL function to query all of the previously linked issues and use the Bulk Edit feature in Jira to add them to the Epic again.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Maarten

@Maarten Cautreels that was pure AWESOMENESS!

I can't thank you enough!

It was truly... Epic! (sorry, I could not resist).

@Yair Spolter Happy to help! :-)

0 votes

Hi Yair,

Just so we are looking in the right direction a few questions:

• Are you on Jira Server or Cloud? 
  • I'm also assuming (from the Epic Link) that you're using Jira Software instead of just Core? (Do you have Kanban/Scrum boards available on your Jira?)
  • How/what did you change on the Epic?
  • What kind of link do you want to restore? The issues being linked to the Epic through the Epic Link field or another type of link (relates to, is blocked by, ...) to this Epic?

I'd love to help search for an easy restore solution but I'm afraid restoring a backup will most likely be the easiest way.

Best,

Maarten

Thanks for your help Maarten.

We are on Jira server.

We do have Kanban etc.

I changed the "Type" from Epic to Task

I want to restore the the issues being linked to the Epic through the Epic Link field.

Restoring a backup means going back to a previous state (which affects ALL changeds made since)?

Thanks for the info and quick response. I'm going to try and reproduce this on my test instance to see if I can find an easy way to restore it.

Best,

Maarten

Thank you. That would be great!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Core

How to manage many similar workflows?

I have multiple projects that use variations of the same base workflow. The variations depend on the requirements of the project or issue type. The variations mostly come in the form of new statuses ...

3,953 views 11 5
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you