How to pre-populate my Jira board with issues?

Tushar Tembhare May 9, 2018

We are running sets of projects (around 10 projects) which needs to have some same initial tasks. So rather than creating those same 10-12 task in each project, can those project boards be pre-populated with those tasks?

Is this facility available in Cloud version of Jira?

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tushar Tembhare May 15, 2018

Hi @Scott Theus @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

I have created epics and tasks by the method as suggested by you. But I am not able to link those tasks with those epics from Confluence page.

So I have to go to the Jira project board and then link those tasks to epics or it can be done directly from Confluence page?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2018

The epic linking needs to be done in Jira, Confluence is only capable of basic lookup and create.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2018

Hi Tushar,

I use Confluence for this. I have a "Standard Project Issues" page in the team space that contains all the stories and tasks needed for every project. Whenever a PM starts a new project they go into this page, select each story, and create the Jira issue and add it to the new project  from there.

It's not as quick as copying from a project template (which I don't believe exists yet) but it is much faster than writing out all the stores every time.

Hope this helps,

-Scott

Tushar Tembhare May 10, 2018

Hi @Scott Theus

Thanks for the reply.

As I am new to this, I am not sure how to create those issues on confluence page.

Could you please help me with that?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2018

Confluence has a neat trick where you highlight a line or block of text and a little box appears above it.  The box contains the icon for "in line comment", but if you have an application link to your Jira, also a Jira icon which gives you a "create issues from text" function.  I think that's what Scott is using (It is what I do as well)

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2018

Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-, that is what I'm using.

-Scott

Tushar Tembhare May 10, 2018

Thanks @Scott Theus and @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- for your help.

Suggest an answer