How to manage multiple projects as one project?

Harrison Liu February 13, 2017

Hello,

I searched through previous questions and couldn't find an answer that fit closely to what I'm trying to do, so I thought I'd ask here.

I am working on a project (Project A) that uses JIRA for bug and story tracking. 

My project works alongside three other projects (Project B, Project C and Project D), all of whom are supposed to be using JIRA in the same manner.

All projects do work on epics that are similar across the projects. Meaning Projects A & C may implement Epic 'UI update', but they work on it independent of each other, and don't require one to be done before the other can begin.

All projects do work on epics that are not relevant to any other project (ex Project B working on Epic 'New B-style').

All projects on occasion must integrate work from a 3rd party, and ideally at the same time.

My question- is there a way to track all of this at a higher level? Meaning, is there a way to create 'Master Project' that monitors a) progress and issues of the epics of individual projects (A, B, C, D) and b) progress and issues of epics that are similar across the projects?

Ideally, I'd like to make some sort of dashboard that can monitor the health of the individual projects as well as the overall health of the environment that the individual projects make up together. And then track any issues blocking the progress of the common epics. 

Bonus points for helping figure out how to also track the incoming/progress of integration of the 3rd party pieces.

Sorry for the convoluted question, as you can see, it's hard (for me) to wrap my head around.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2017

I would suggest creating either a kanban or a scrum board for managing multiple projects.

The board's query may be something like:

project in (A, B, C, D) ORDER BY Rank ASC

where  letters A to D represent the keys or names of the projects you would like to be able to manage from a single view.

You may create 4 board's Quick Filters for easily selecting through a mouse-click one of the projects, filtering out all issues from other projects. (ie: project = A)

For keeping track of the third party progress, you may create another Quick Filter for that, like:

assignee in membersOf("third-party")

where "third-party" would be the name of a group you have created, having added third party users to it.

silversonicaxel July 4, 2017

Where should this Board created? Should be in one of the projects A, B, C or D or would be a better idea to have another extra project that can have filtered boards as described before?

I personally prefer the second option, so original projects are kept clean, but I was wondering if all issues managed in the project would be mirrored in the others. And I'm talking about statuses, maybe priorities...

Like Brian Taylor likes this
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2017

Boards do not belong to any projects, despite of the fact that they are shown from the project view if you have access to both the project and the board.

So, there's no place to which the board belongs.

A board which is fed by issues from multiple projects will present all statuses from all workflows set in every project, so that they can be mapped to the board's columns.

In that regard, it is usually a good idea to use the same workflow in all projects.

Like # people like this
Alvaro Hernandez Ramirez February 6, 2019

Good guys, I have a question, how do you handle the backlog of the previous projects in this new board? since at the moment of making the query indicated above in the text, it does not bring me the Backlog of the groups that I add.

thank you very much for the prompt response

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 6, 2019

Hi Álvaro,

First, ensure the board's filter returns all issues in all groups backlogs.

Once the board's main filter is properly set, then you may create and use quick filters for further filtering.

Hope it helps.

Frédéric Tanguay April 6, 2021

HI Alvaro, I used your recommandation. the only issu is that the quick filter is not filtering the epics in the backlog view. it's anoying

Any idea?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events