How to make JIRA notifications affect only one user on project?

Zdenko Nagy October 19, 2016

Hello guys,

another day, another problem. We have project which has big number of issues raised each week and currently no notification scheme. Getting all the notifications is fine for the developers (they explicitly inquired that they have this set-up), but project lead gets swarmed by another emails and now started to lose track of important notifications. So the only notifications she wants to get are when she's assigned to issue or when she's mentioned in the comment.

So far I found out that @mentioned is statically set to sent one message per mention, so that's fine as it is. But as I started to poke around Notification schemes I noticed they are project-wide for ALL users in project, which is no good for me.

Can you suggest the easiest way how to set Notification scheme or other mechanism that our Project lead only gets notifications only if she's assigned to the issue?

Thank you.

P.S. as I don't have obligatory 3-point status, I may not be able to reply more than once. And as I am a really newbie (or noobie?) in JIRA administration, detailed explanation (how-to) would be welcomed. smile

EDIT: yippee, I miraculously now have 15 points so I can normally reply. Thanks guys. smile

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2016

You'll need to re-engineer the schemes to do this. 

What you need to do is

• Remove the project lead from anything that sends them a notification,
  • Then add a role (or roles) you'll need for the next step
  • It's quite likely that the removal of "anything sending a notification" has removed the lead's permissions as well, so grant the new role(s) the old permissions
  • Add the role(s) to the notification scheme for just the mails they should get
  • Put the project lead in the new role(s)
Zdenko Nagy October 26, 2016

I found out that the problem was somewhere else entirely. Our project lead had special permission - email notifications on Create issue. As soon as I made different scheme without this rule, "SPAM" problem ceased to exist. But thanks for scaring the hell out of me with your idea about reconfiguring all schemes. smile (I will probably need to do that sooner rather than later anyway.)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 26, 2016

Yes, the default schemes are not exactly helpful when you decide you need to hide or limit access to projects.

Suggest an answer