How to limit a user to not see comments and tasks

I have created an external role and user. I added the user to the role, as an observer. This is good. They are limited only to the project and only to JIRA. However, we wanted to allow the software developers to continue to develop and communicate un-fettered wrt tasks and comments (comments in defects, stories, etc.). To do this, we want to limit the ability for the external user to see the tasks or comments. So far, all that we can do, is make them an observer, but cannot limit them further.

4 answers

This widget could not be displayed.
Mahesh S Community Champion Jun 08, 2016

A workaround would be clicking the drop down 'Viewable to all users' and changing to whatever groups you need. So that, the comment will be restricted to such users, being confidential. 

However, there is no direct solution for restricting the view access of observers on all comments and tasks. The above one is just a workaround since, the developers can't do this every time.

Mahesh S Community Champion Jun 08, 2016

Hope, you have script runner plugin. Navigate to JIRA Administration -> Add ons -> Behavior.

Add a new field behavior and configure to your project and issue type. Create a condition for the field Comments and set it to hidden for the required users.

Thank you Mahesh. When I investigate using the script runner plugin, it seems to only be available for the server version. Since I'm using the cloud version, this option does not seem viable.

Mahesh S Community Champion Jun 09, 2016

My pleasure! Let me know if you find any other solution for this, being a cloud instance. I am curious. smile

As per the restrictions of JIRA OnDemand, many plugins cannot be installed. Script runner is one such plugin which does not have the cloud version. However, there is a request raised to bundle script runner with the JIRA onDemand, so please go and vote for this issue and watch it to get the latest updates.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-41869

To get to know the list of Add-ons that are available on JIRA onDemand via Atlassian Connect, you check this page.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

277 views 1 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you