How to enable release notes

Martin Gregory April 13, 2017

I read, In the cloud admin doco, that I should be able to "configure release notes".

I just created a new cloud instance, and I don't have this feature.  My issues don't have a "release notes" field

What am I missing?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2017

Hi Martin,

I didn't even know this feature existed!  So thank you for helping me learn something new tonight!  :)

The "Release Notes" button you're looking for is on a view that's specific to a single version.  To get to it, I did the following:

1. Go to your project and click "Project settings" in the left grey sidebar nav.

2. Click "Versions" on the (second) left white sidebar nav.

3. If a version doesn't already exist, add one.

4. Click on the hyperlinked name of the version, in the first table column labeled, "Version".

5. That will bring you to a page with a "Release Notes" button at the top right.  See screenshot.

release-notes.png

The URL of the page, for a single version in a project, will be in the format:  yoururl.atlassian.net/browse/YOURPROJECTNAME/fixforversion/10000, where 10000 is the ID of the version.  

Clicking on "Release Notes" brings you to a page titled "Edit/Copy Release Notes."  Click the "Configure Release Notes" button at the top of that page to run the report for another version or switch between HTML and text output.

With JIRA Cloud, there doesn't apperar to be anything you can customize about this report.  For JIRA Server however, there are more possibilities.  For example, you can create a custom notes field and use Velocity templates to control the data display.  More on that here:  https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-platform/jira-architecture/jira-templates-and-jsps/creating-a-custom-release-notes-template-containing-release-comments

I think for me personlly, I'd get more out of a regular JQL query or using the "JIRA Issues" macro in Confluence, than I would from this feature.  I also stumbled across this Cloud and Server plugin that might be of interest: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/amoeboids.releasenotes/cloud/overview

Have a lovely night,

Rachel Wright

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events