How to disable Keyboard Shortcuts?

Although, I have disabled "Keyboard shortcuts" in the Preferences section of my JIRA User Profile, keyboard shortcuts for "issue action" are still in effect.

Some Ideas?

JIRA v6.3.8

Thank you in advance.

4 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Well, the real answer is: You can turn off some (there's a setting in your User Profile editor), but likely not the ones that are annoying you in the first place.

I think these people have a strange concept of what it means to "disable" a feature. I think some lazy dev just added the preference setting, made sure it disabled a few things... and then closed that JIRA ticket.

Atlassian shortcuts (in ALL their products) are not only dangerous in their implementation (it's so easy to trigger some unintended effect with a wrong keystroke) but turning them off DOES NOT WORK.

It appears that some are disabled; for instance "m" (the only one I remember) no longer opens a comment edit box (which, of course, is going to placed be as far as possible from the comment you're following-up on)...

But the shortcut which is most infuriating to me (because it gets in the way of my productivity WAY more than any other) still isn't disabled:

When you are looking at an issues, the up/down arrows (and Home/End, PgUp/PgDn) all effect the issues list, NOT the issue that is currently focused. I'd be happy if they NEVER affected the issues list, but the fact that you can EXPLICITLY focus (by clicking) a specific issue, and JIRA STILL COMMANDEERS the keyboard scrolling functionality is inexcusable.

It's absolutely ridiculous that I can't use the keyboard to scroll through an issue.

I am a keyboard-centric user who normally LOVES to use and define keyboard shortcuts. Atlassian's shortcuts are never helpful (and often harmful) to me, and are completely unconfigurable, so I've given up trying to use them. I wish JIRA would give up on forcing them on me.

Please respect our  preference settings.

Same. JIRA v6.4.11

Disabled keyboard shortcuts but they still are in use.  Should be reproduceable by editing the description box on a ticket and then hitting ESC will cancel your edits and close the description box edit.

Likewise, on OSX, I enjoy using control-B, control-K and other emacs-like editing commands that are a standard behavior in OSX text widgets and work in other browser textareas.  Disabling keyboard shortcuts should let me use these. 

Using macosx for Jira is a plain nightmare for me. Wait... something happened. I dont know what I did, and I have no idea whether or not the epic or story or what have you I was working on needs to be reworked. One part of this is the terrible new macosx keyboard (ridiculous tactile feedback). the large part of this is really JIRA's interface. I would like a way to turn off keyboard shortcuts (cannot find it at all!).

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted yesterday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

81 views 1 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you