How to delete inactive users from JIRA

Bose Kamineni March 1, 2016

Hi,

Version - 4.2.4-b591

I have 2 questions

1. Upgrade path from 4.2 to 5.1 or latest
  2. We have thousands of inactive users - in JIRA 4.2 also do we have ability to deactivate user similar to 5.1? Is there a script which does automatically rather than manually doing that?
  3. Can we activate a deactivated user at a later time if they rejoin the group/work location.
  4. Does the issues assigned to deactivated user can still be accessed.

Thanks,

Bose Kamineni

3 answers

4 votes
Georges Moubarak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2016

Hi @Bose Kamineni,

1. I didn't get what you need.
  2. If you want to deactivate all users, you can do it through the database by setting the field 'ACTIVE' to 0 in the 'CWD_USER' table. note that you need to restart JIRA for this to take effect.
  3. You can reactivate any user at any moment.
  4. All issues assigned to deactivated users are shown normally

1 vote
Ezra Rezky
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2016

HI Bose!

1. There is no specific upgrade path from 4.2 to 5.1 or latest. You can directly create a new application server at the new version then point it at your 4.2.4 database. (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/upgrading-jira-185729508.html for reference)
  2. Yes both version have similar way to deactivate users (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/managing-users-185729439.html#ManagingUsers-deactivateuser for reference). However, I have not heard of a script to automatically do that job.
  3. Yes you can activate a deactivated user at a later time, and the process is similar to deactivating process, like quoted from https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/managing-users-185729439.html#ManagingUsers-deactivateuser:

How to Deactivate/Activate User
    1. Locate the user in the User browser (see Viewing Users above) and click their Edit link in the Operations column.
    2. In the resulting form, clear the Active check box.
    3. Click Update to confirm the change.
      information To re-enable the user again, repeat the steps above but instead, select the Active check box.
  4. Yes, the issues assigned to deactivated user can still be accessed.

I hope my answers can clear up your question, and I wish you a good day!

Warm Regards,
Ezra A. R. A. 

0 votes
Michael Partyka
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 2, 2016

You can always deactivate them in DB. Please try it on test JIRA instance before.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events