How to create hierarchy in Core Cloud when Initiatives/epics are disabled?

Tomislav Hrelja
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 20, 2020

I have projects in JIRA Core Cloud and want to create hierarchy between issues to provide a better overview. Adding Iintiaves/Epics doesn't seem possible as, by default, only Tasks and Sub-Tasks are available. Is there a way to create Intiatives/Epics or is there a workaround to create hierarchy between issues and link them to each other. 

Creating dependencies is one way, but then it's hard to track the main issue. Any ideas? Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Rhys Diab _Agile Docs_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 19, 2020

Hi @Tomislav Hrelja 

I created an addon called Program Tree which makes this possible.

1) Create a program

2) Define your parent issues and which issues will be the children of each issue using JQL.

task-program-setup.png

3) Save your program

You now have multi-level program using only tasks and sub-tasks.

finished-program.pngLet me know what you think!

Best Regards,

Rhys

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2020

Hi @Tomislav Hrelja  - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

There's no real way to implement additional hierarchy in a non-premium subscription. And then, it is only somewhat possible using Advanced Roadmaps. 

And even then, the process is to create a new Issue Type at the Task/Story level and then use issue links to create dependencies between the levels. 

I hope that helps a little. 

Suggest an answer