How to create an auto assign to previous assignee in Jira?

I don't know how create auto assignment to previous assignee using custom field and post function when I change issue status (or dragging it to other status column on the board). Here, at this community a read other comments, but there is still no clear understanding except "create custom field" and use post function.

Can somebody explain me how to do that in detail? Like "chose that menu, click certain button, then go to some settings etc"? I can use post function to assign next assignee, but don't know how to assign previous.

Here I illustrate what I mean.

Thanks in advance for help.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 vote
Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Jan 18, 2018

Hi Alex, 

do you have the "Jira Misc Workflow Extension" or the "Suite Utilities for Jira" app? You need a post function to copy a value from a custom field to the assignee field. That is not working out of the box.

If you have one of these, I can give you a step-by-step solution. 

No, I don't have, but I thought there is no need of third-party plug-in and it is possible to resolve this question using Jira tools.

So, I can use auto assign to next user but can't use auto assign to previous (last) without any plug-ins?:)

Not as far as I know. You have to put the actual user in a custom field, every time you make a transition in our workflow. That's ok with Jira out-of-the-box.

But for copying the user from the custom field to the assignee field, there is no function in Jira.

Ok, I get it. Can you describe how to do that using JMWE?)

I'll do tomorrow. For today, I'm out of office.

Thank you, Thomas!

Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Jan 19, 2018

So here is what you have to do:

• open http://<your-jira-url>/secure/admin/ViewCustomFields.jspa
  • Click on "Add Custom Field"
  • Select Field Type "User Picker" and click "Next"
  • Name your field "Last Assignee" and click "Create"
  • Do not associate any screens on the following page (the field is just used internally and shouldn't be set manually)

And now to the workflow:

• Edit your workflow
  • Add the following postfunction to every transition:  "Copy Value from Field to Field" - Copy the Assignee to "Last Assignee"
  • In the transition where you want to assign the issue to the last assignee, just use that postfunction the other way round

But, if you have the Jira Misc Workflow Extensions, there is another postfunction that is much easier to use: "Assign to last role member" - you can assign the issue automatically to the role member, who had the issue assigned before. With that postfunction, you don't even need a custom field! I haven't tested that function up to now, but I think, this is exactly what you need.

Thank you very much, Thomas!

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Amir Kazemi
Posted an hour ago in Jira

We want to know what Jira Service Desk apps you're using!

Hi Community! My name is Amir and I’m on the Jira Service Desk product marketing team at Atlassian. Our team would love to understand how you’re leveraging our ecosystem for Jira Service Desk. Wha...

10 views 0 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you