How to create an account that uses basic auth when we have SSO configured on our environment?

Jonathan Do January 30, 2020

We're working to connect xMatters to our Jira instance and we've come into an issue with needing an account with basic authentication. The problem is that we use SSO, so we'd need to make an account that has a username and password and I don't see that option anywhere. Would really appreciate some help. Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2020

Hi @Jonathan Do ,

If I understand correctly you have SSO enabled and you need credentials to integrate with a third party tool (xMatters).

If this is the case, you will have to use an Atlassian account email address and API token as username and password. 

In order to do so:

1. Create a new user for the integration (you can also use an already existing one, but it is usually good practice to create a separate user for this)
  2. Log-into id.atlassian.com as the user created in previous step.
  3. Go to https://id.atlassian.com/manage/api-tokens and generate an  API Token for the user
  4. The email address and API Token of the user created in step #1 will be respectively the username and password to be used in the integration.

In case this is not what you are trying to do, please provide more details.

Cheers,
Dario

Jonathan Do February 7, 2020

Hi Dario,

That did it! If you don't mind me asking, where did you find this? It's something we might try to do again with other services so it'd be great if I could get a better understanding of how Jira interacts with various integrations.

Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 11, 2020

Hi @Jonathan Do ,

The possibility to use basic authentication with username and password has been removed since June 2019, you can review the below link for more details:

Also, if you want to get a better understanding on how Jira interacts/integrates with other applications, please look at the below pages

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dario

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events