How to create a Sprint in Jira 7+

Shawn October 22, 2017

There seems to be no way to create a sprint in Jira 7.. on a kanban board. 

All documentation refers to to the Agile drop down that has since been moved. 

Versions are obvious and I am now wondering if Jira has decided to make a sprint a version? 

I have no sprint option in Backlog and I have Rank enabled and I have administrator permissions. 

Any assistance would be very appreciated. 

3 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 23, 2017

>There seems to be no way to create a sprint in Jira 7.. on a kanban board

Kanban boards do not have, and never have had sprints.  That's the point of them.

Try a Scrum board instead.

Shawn October 29, 2017

Thanks understood and it makes sense. 

Deleted user February 16, 2019

If we do not have a sprint feature in kanban.... how can i have subtasks visible in a srum board?

2 votes
Answer accepted
Steven de Groot
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2017

Hi Shawn,

Please note that the functionalities you are referring to are related to scrum boards. I'd recommend that you create a scrum project instead of a kanban project if you'd like to create a sprint.

You can find more information here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver073/planning-sprints-861254543.html

Shawn October 29, 2017

Ok got it thanks for explaining, makes perfect sense. 

0 votes
Tomo Lennox August 24, 2022

In "Scrumban" you follow the Scrum Guide in every way, but you use a kanban board in standups to track the progress of the work in sprints.    For Scrumban, it would be useful to view and set the sprint, and Scrumban is a very productive way to implement Scrum. 

I agree that in Kanban, the concept of a sprint is not used, but I have had some teams tack the current sprint on when stories are done, so that central reporting of a mixed group of Scrum and Kanban teams can report in sprints.

I think the sprint should work like any other variable while doing Kanban or Scrumban.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2022

That's one of the weaknesses of Scrumban and I've seen strong arguments that it's not really a useful idea, it's just a slightly different way to look at a Scrum, and not a particularly useful one.

The best you can do with Scrumban is simply to put the sprint on the board view via the cards - the most popular one I've seen is to use the card colours to distinguish between closed sprints, open sprints and future sprints.

Suggest an answer