How to configure JIRA so that whenever a new ticket is created in the A project, an email is sent to a specific group alias.

Elif Alverson February 25, 2016

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2016

The easiest (but not very flexible) way to do it is change the notification scheme and include the group you want to mail in the "issue created" notification.

I'd prefer to do it with a role though, then you can reuse the method for other projects and groups without having to have a different scheme for every group.

Nic, you are right. I cannot do it thru the notification scheme project A uses default notification scheme and 20 other project also use the default notification scheme. 

Can provide me the steps how to do it thru roles? Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2016

The easiest way is to log in as an admin and, as a one-off set up:

• Go to users -> roles
  • Add a new role with a name like "created notifications"
  • Go to the notification scheme
  • Find the "issue created" line
  • Add "Role: created notifications" to that line

Now, every time you want a new group (or user) to be notified of new issues in a project, go to the project admin and add the group (or user) to the new role

Like Dawid Prociak likes this

Thank you so much as usual!

Is there a way to test it without engaging to someone else to create an issue?

I have created an issue, surely  did not get an email even though I added myself to the created notifications role.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 25, 2016

Ah, there's a setting in your profile which is probably set to "do NOT email me for my own changes".  If you (temporarily) set that to "email me about stuff I've just done", and try another "create", you will get an email if the setup is correct.

it says " My Changes:Do not notify me" , but it is grayed out that I can not make any changes under the profile and or users tab. It is because of the JIRA version we use which is (v6.4.9)?

Senthilkumar February 6, 2019

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- i have a question in uploading an Workflow to an existing project, which shares a common workflow scheme among 5 projects. 

I want my new workflow to be uploaded to all 5 projects. Its only for Bugs and Defects, 

the problem i am facing , we already have Defect workflow all the 5 projects what will happen to it,

And how to associate new issues types, when we move to an new workflow.

Need your help on htis

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2019

That has nothing to do with the question or follow-up, please ask it as a separate question.

4 votes
Georges Moubarak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2016

Hi @Elif Alverson,

In your project A's notification scheme, you can set a group in the issue created event and when a new ticket is created an email is sent to all group members.

Suggest an answer