How to comment on existing issue using email handler

Prashant Mali December 8, 2016

My use case is:

I am using one mail ID for creating issue. but I don't want to create comment on that existing issue using mail id.

so, Can i user different mail ID for creating comment on existing mail ID. 

If possible then please tell me how to do that.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2016

When an email arrives in JIRA, the handlers will try to match up the incoming address to an existing user, and then use a default if they can't find one.

I'm not sure how you'd tell it to "use a different mail id".  I can't work out where or how you'd make the decision to use another default (you'll certainly need to find or write a new mail handler to do it, but I'm not clear on what it would actually be doing)

Prashant Mali December 9, 2016

I am using same mail box to create ticket on both JIRA and HP SAW. it works very well.but my new requirement is to add comment to existing jira issue. but problem is that if i reply to same mail box. so it create comment to JIRA existing issue. but at the same time, It creates new tickets on jira. Is there any way to achieve this.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2016

I don't understand that. 

I can see you're using one mailbox, which is probably a bad idea, as JIRA really on;y works if it has exclusive access - it needs to read and dismiss the emails.  If JIRA is 100% in charge of doing that, your other systems could be losing email.

But I don't understand the "add comment" stuff onwards.  I guess you've set up a "create" handler, but if you need to comment as well, then you actually want a "create or comment" handler.  That will do the job fine, but your original question was about using arbitrary unknown email addresses, not create/comment. 

So I'm very confused on what you're tyring to do.

Prashant Mali December 9, 2016

Hey, I already used create or comment on existing issue handler. there is no any problem with this in JIRA at all,

but I am using one mail box(Email ID)to create issue on both JIRA and HP SAW. My only question is that, can I use different mail for adding comment on jira, so that it will not create ticket.

Or Should I go for two different mail ID's

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2016

Ok, you've made this really unnecessarily complex - why would a user want to have to remember that they have to reply to a different email address to make a comment?  But yes, you can do it.

1.  As per the answer, you need code
  2. You'd be better off with a separate handler for the second email address, and that would avoid code
  3. I doubt your mixed mail box is working

Prashant Mali December 11, 2016

hey Nic,

actually i am trying with single mail to create issues,comments. and its working fine.but I am using same mail id to create HP tickets.so when I replied to same mail it creates another ticket in HP SAW. and I dont want that. so tell me how to resolve this.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 12, 2016

You'll need to change SAW so that it understands when you don't want to create the issues. 

I can't help you with that - the closest experience I've got to it is getting exports when people are upgrading to JIRA.

Prashant Mali December 12, 2016

oh, Thanks man.

It is very helpful for me.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events