How to build a backlog filter query using JQL

Adam Tiner February 19, 2016

I am trying to create a filter that will show me items that are in the backlog, but am having difficulty.  I hope that someone can help point me in the right direction, and that it is not an issue of JIRA lacking another feature that I need!

My current filter looks like this:

status != Done AND (Sprint not in (openSprints(), futureSprints()) OR Sprint is not EMPTY) ORDER BY createdDate ASC

If I change it to say only

Sprint not in (openSprints(), futureSprints()

then I get results that are not in the current sprint - exactly what I need.  The only problem is that it excludes items that have previously been assigned to a sprint, but were never completed.  If I change it to say only

Sprint is not EMPTY

then I get results that have been previously assigned to a sprint - again, exactly what I need!  The only problem is that it excludes items that have never been assigned to a sprint.

When I try to combine the two inside of a parenthesis grouping, I get most of what I need - but for some reason, it is including the items that are in my current (active) sprint.

I feel like this would all be solved by having Atlassian implement a simple "currentSprint()" operator, so that I could say

Sprint not in currentSprint()

Can anyone help me out - or am I out of luck?

4 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2016

What about the JQL below ?

status != Done AND (sprint is EMPTY OR (sprint in (closedSprints())))

Should return all issues

• NOT Done
  • Not in ANY sprint
  • OR
  • In sprints that are complete
Adam Tiner February 19, 2016

Hi Boris, thanks for responding!  This definitely gets me much closer to where I need to be.  There are a few items that I'd still like to get rid of though; I see issues carried over from our last sprint (closed) that have been assigned to the current sprint.  I really appreciate you taking the time to reply!

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2016

So you want to exclude the items from the current sprint right ?

what about this query:

status != Done AND ((sprint is EMPTY OR (sprint in (closedSprints()))) AND (sprint NOT IN (openSprints())))

Like # people like this
Adam Tiner March 1, 2016

Yes.  Essentially, I want to...

Include:

• Items that have never been assigned to a sprint
  • Items that have been assigned to a previous sprint

Exclude:

• Items in a "Done" status
  • items in the current sprint
  • Items in future sprints

It seems like the query above is filtering out items that have never been assigned to a previous sprint (i.e. sprint is EMPTY), but I actually need them to be included!

Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 1, 2016

Here's a query similar to the one above with some explanation:

sprint IS EMPTY OR sprint IN closedSprints()  AND sprint NOT IN (openSprints(), futureSprints()) AND status != Done

Include 

sprint IS EMPTY  OR  sprint IN closedSprints()
  • Items that have never been assigned to a sprint (sprint is EMPTY
  • Items that have been assigned to a previous sprint (sprint in closedSprints())

Exclude

sprint NOT IN (openSprints(), futureSprints()) AND status != Done
  • Items in a "Done" status (status != Done)
  • items in the current sprint (sprint NOT IN openSprints())
  • Items in future sprints (sprint NOT IN futureSprints())

Like # people like this
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 1, 2016

I've corrected my comment above - please try without all the brackets.

Adam Tiner March 1, 2016

This is absolutely what I needed!  I owe you a coca-cola!  Thanks very much for your patience, and also for taking the time to explain it to me in crayon.  wink

Much obliged!

Sujeet Hotta November 24, 2020

This definitely helps me as well !! Thank you..

1 vote
Adam Tiner March 1, 2016

Bumping to see if anyone else has another suggestion.  I would be surprised if I were the only one who needs a filter like this. I want to be able to setup a monthly subscription that emails folks with items in the backlog.  Am I missing something obvious?

Eric Smith September 25, 2017

I'm in the same boat.  It's absurd that I can't see what's in my backlog at a glance.  Right now I'm using this:

project = NAME and sprint IS EMPTY and status = open OR project = NAME and sprint IN closedSprints() AND sprint NOT IN (openSprints(), futureSprints()) AND status = Open

0 votes
Nick Ayala July 15, 2020

Hey @Adam Tiner 

I ran into this same issue and its been a while since you asked this question. I am posting this answer in case anyone else runs into this.

In order to target issues that are in your backlog but not within a future sprint, open sprint, or that was in a closed sprint but was unresolved use this query

Sprint in futureSprints() or Sprint is EMPTY or (Sprint in closedSprints() AND resolution = Unresolved and Sprint not in openSprints()) 

Now you will need to make sure to filter out all issues that do not have a status of Done or are unresolved

status != Done 
or
resolution = Unresolved

So the full query would look like this

Sprint in futureSprints() or Sprint is EMPTY or (Sprint in closedSprints() AND resolution = Unresolved and Sprint not in openSprints()) and issuetype in (your issue types here) and resolution = Unresolved

I hope there is an easier way of doing this but the only solution I could come up with. I hope this helps someone.

0 votes
Simrat pal Singh July 3, 2020

to me this works nicely project = NAME and  (sprint not in openSprints() or sprint is empty)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events