How to authenticate for a basic REST API call

Timothy Fitzpatrick November 19, 2020

Hi, I'm trying to make a rest call to query our JIRA for release notes. I have it working with basic authentication. However, I'm reading all over your documentation that basic is deprecated. However, most of the documention I can find is about basic authentication.

So, I had our IT department give me the same key that another app is using; and I can't tell how that translates to JIRA.

Is this oAuth?

username: xxxx

app password: <some name>

xxxxxxxxx -- a password or something

Help? I'm just trying to find the right direction. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2020

Hi @Timothy Fitzpatrick 

I'm not sure what you've come across so far, this is a simple explanation of what is required. Post back here if you are still unsure, detailing what you've tried and what issues you're still facing.

Timothy Fitzpatrick November 20, 2020

OK, I found their is a difference between an API Token and API Key. So I can use the API Key and not get the "basic auth with username/password is deprecated" message.

When I run that through Postman I can see the authorization header generated makes a hash or something out of the username and api key; that is working for my purposes if I pass it to my application to use the REST API.

Next question, is this the right way to do it? Will that hash (or whatever it is) remain valid for the life of the API key? 

0 votes
Timothy Fitzpatrick November 23, 2020

My understanding is that hash is valid for the life of the aPI key, so this should resolve my question. Thanks.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events