• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to authenticate for a basic REST API call

Hi, I'm trying to make a rest call to query our JIRA for release notes. I have it working with basic authentication. However, I'm reading all over your documentation that basic is deprecated. However, most of the documention I can find is about basic authentication.

So, I had our IT department give me the same key that another app is using; and I can't tell how that translates to JIRA.

Is this oAuth?

username: xxxx

app password: <some name>

xxxxxxxxx -- a password or something

Help? I'm just trying to find the right direction. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Warren Community Leader Nov 20, 2020

Hi @Timothy Fitzpatrick 

I'm not sure what you've come across so far, this is a simple explanation of what is required. Post back here if you are still unsure, detailing what you've tried and what issues you're still facing.

OK, I found their is a difference between an API Token and API Key. So I can use the API Key and not get the "basic auth with username/password is deprecated" message.

When I run that through Postman I can see the authorization header generated makes a hash or something out of the username and api key; that is working for my purposes if I pass it to my application to use the REST API.

Next question, is this the right way to do it? Will that hash (or whatever it is) remain valid for the life of the API key? 

My understanding is that hash is valid for the life of the aPI key, so this should resolve my question. Thanks.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Core

How to manage many similar workflows?

I have multiple projects that use variations of the same base workflow. The variations depend on the requirements of the project or issue type. The variations mostly come in the form of new statuses ...

4,243 views 12 5
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you