How to activate inactive user (LDAP)

Hi guys!

My case looks like this:

1. We have user sync via LDAP to AD for a long time.
  2. Today for the first time we have created a new user in AD with a power shell script.
  3. That script created user in "disabled" state.
  4. This user poped-up in Jira, but in "inactive" state.
  5. Next we have corrected his name and activated account in AD. In every other service this user works and can login.
  6. Name has changed in JIRA too (so synchronization is working) but that user is still inactive.

There is no activate button, because of LDAP synchronization.

My JIRA version is 6.4.1
We have 26 user licenses left.

7 answers

update wd_user set active=1 where user_name='there_username';

** typo

update cwd_user set active=1 where user_name='there_username';

Any other solution except db update? it is not a good solution such as our company which has lots of users and turnover..

Is he fulfilling all demands your organization has? (we use LDAP filters that make sure he has a phonenumber, email, is in the right OU and so forth.

Is he fulfilling all demands JIRA has? (In most cases the user have to be added to group jira-users to become active).

Last thing, if you edit the user in Jira, can you activate the account here?

Well he does fulfil all demands. Other ways he would not pop up in Jira.

And yes, I have double checked if all data is there.

User is added to group jira-users and jira-delevopers.

I have not edited user in Jira. I have edited him in AD, and changes was synced, but user is still inactive. 

Did you find a solution to this?
We are experiencing the same problem here (not sure how the user was created though), but he pops up in JIRA as "inactive", even though he is not in disabled state in AD.
The user have never been set as inactive/active in JIRA (and it seems that is not an option with LDAP sync).

Hi Ann,

Well actually I have this problem solved with a workaround.

I've asked our database masters to manually change this directly in Jiras database.
Then I needed to restart application server and voilà! User is active.

Hi Lukasz,

Thank you for your answer! I guess we have to do the same thing then. Do you know exactly what they changed in the database?

Well nope, but it took them like 5 seconds to do it.

No rocket sience for database admins.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira Ops

Jira Ops Early Access Program Update #2: Let’s talk severity levels

Welcome to your weekly Jira Ops Early access program update, where we’re sharing news and updates on Jira Ops' progress as we work toward our 1.0 release. If you ever want to drop us feedback or idea...

24 views 0 0
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you