• Community
  • Products
  • Jira
  • Jira Core
  • Questions
  • How is the total average cycle time calculated for a given project using Jira's Control Chart. When I look at the cycle time for all statuses I get one number, but when I average the cycle times for the individual statuses in a given project I get another

How is the total average cycle time calculated for a given project using Jira's Control Chart. When I look at the cycle time for all statuses I get one number, but when I average the cycle times for the individual statuses in a given project I get another

How is the total average cycle time calculated for a given project using Jira's Control Chart. When I look at the cycle time for all statuses I get one number, but when I average the cycle times for the individual statuses in a given project I get a different number. Shouldn't this be the same?
For example: 
  • Average Cycle Time All Statuses: 6 weeks 9 hours 22 minutes
  • Average Cycle Time Individual Statuses:
    • Backlog: 3 weeks 5 days
    • In Progress: 6 days 21 hours
    • In QA: 5 days 12 hours
    • In Staging: 3 days 15 hours

I want to reliably determine the cycle time, not only for the project as a whole but also for the individual statuses. Any guidance you can provide would be helpful. 

3 answers

Hi Stephen,

I am looking for a way to get each status Time. I am far behind you. Could you please asisst me to get the time in each status?

Thanks in Advance!!!

Hi there,

Just go to Reports => Control Chart => Refine Report => Columns and then select that status you want to track. Hoping the data is accurate. Hence why I'm asking the question to the community here.

Stephen

Hi Stephen

Total cycle time is calculated as an average of sum of times each issue spends in each status.

It will not give you same result as sum of averages all issues spend in each status.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

64 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you