USE CASE NEED:
The initial JQL query, without solving the problem, is:
issuetype = Defect and "External ID" is EMPTY
I can't figure out how to have that as an OR where it checks if it's empty or if it just has whitespace characters
issuetype = Defect and ("External ID" is EMPTY OR issueFunction in issueFieldMatch("", "External ID", "^\\s*$"))
The above would find any issues where the contents of the field was only whitespace, or the field was empty. You could use more elaborate regular expressions to search for single-character entries and the like.
In fact, if you had a pretty good idea what the format of your External ID field should be, then you could write a query to find every issue where the External ID field did not match the expected format.
issuetype = Defect AND NOT (issueFunction in issueFieldMatch("", "External ID", "^external ID regex goes here$"))
You were so close to being spot on (but it complained when I didn't supply a sub-query)! Thanks! I forgot about the issueFieldMatch!
This is the solution:
issueFunction in issueFieldExactMatch("issuetype = Defect","External ID"," ")
For reference, what I had to change was the correct arguments for that field:
issueFieldExactMatch (Subquery, Field name, Field value)
or ... well ... okay it's close enough and on the right track? I just created a Defect issue with a whitespace External ID, yet the query didn't find it .. hmmm.... At least the query is compiling though
Oh and i couldn't do "^\s" as it said that wasn't an allowed character (i've got scriptrunner 4.3.4)
Quite right! Should have doubled the backslash. "^\\s*$" should mean "start of line, any amount of whitespace characters (including zero), then end of line".
@Jonny Carter [Adaptavist] so while your modified query (had to add a sub-query to yours) does actually compile, it still doesn't actually match the one test Defect issue I have with the External ID single line text field with " " single whitespace as only entry. Can you try it out on your own system with a similar single line text field for any version type?
issueFunction in issueFieldExactMatch("issuetype = Defect","External ID","^\\s*$")
I was able to get it to work on a test JIRA instance with a simple Text Field. My original regular expression included fields where that field was empty, but the following got just the issue where the field was nothing but whitespace characters:
issueFunction in issueFieldMatch("", "Emptyable field", "^\\s+$")
You might try removing the subquery and any other qualifiers you have on the query you're running. Perhaps one of them is filtering out the stuff you want?
issuetype = Defect and (
is EMPTY or
"External ID"= " ")
issuetype = Defect and
"External ID"in (EMPTY, " ") <- or any other characters you can think of.. because next they will add a "." to get around any mandatory field checking!
Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.Learn more
As a project manager, I have discovered that different developers want to bring their previous branching method with them when they join the team. Some developers are used to performing individual wo...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs