How do you notify a user about an issue type change?

One of our project managers would like to be notified when an issue changes issue type, as different issue types fall under the domain of different managers. One would assume that the "Issue Moved" event would let her do so, since the "Move" function is what is used to change issue type, but apparently that only notifies when an issue enters or leaves a project.

So, does anyone know if there's a way to a user about an issue type change, either within JIRA itself or through an add-on?

4 answers

1 accepted

You could write a Script Runner script listener and watch for the Issue Updated event; if the event includes IssueType in the list of changed fields, add the user as a watcher, or send a custom email, or emit a custom event.  If you emit a custom event, you'll still have to add the user to the notification scheme, for that event.

Thanks, this worked perfectly!

Any chance you can share the groovy that you used? I am trying to notify an AD group when a ticket is changed to an Issue Type. So far, I am using a generic event to notify the group when an issue is created with that issue type, but not when an existing ticket is updated to that issue type.

I just used a simple scripted condition:

issue.issueTypeObject.name == 'Feature Request' && changeItems.any {  it.get('field')=='issuetype' }

Just replace "Feature Request" with whatever your issue type is. I set Script Runner's listener function to run the condition whenever an issue is updated, and fire an event when it evaluates to true.

Have them watch the issue and add All Watchers to Issue Updated in the notification scheme.

Sorry, to clarify: the manager would like to know whenever any issue changes issue type. She can't realistically watch all issues in the system, nor can she afford to get notified whenever any issue in the system is updated.

Then update the notification scheme to add a certain role where your manager wants to be.

You should also check for the Automation Plugin as an alternative.

It is quite to powerful and I'm sure that I can intercept the issue type change. As action, you could send the email with the PDF Automation add-on (or the Excel Automation add-on) using the Send PDF action. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Feb 15, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

1,183 views 6 19
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot