How do you automate maintenance of duplicates/clones across several projects?

Rasmus Valbro Højte January 5, 2017

Hi, I'm currently working on a Jira/Scrum guideline for the team I'm working in.

I have a lot of concerns in regards to handling issues that are very likely to be duplicated between user stories, epics or projects.

Let's consider that we have an issue describing that a web service to create bookings needs to be made.

Then we have two different clients in seperate projects that both depend on this web service.

What is the best way to go about not having to maintain and update duplicates of the web service issue between the two clients, if I were to create this issue in both of the projects?

Is it better to link the user stories that rely on this web service to a project created specifically for the web service?

Thanks very for much in advance for any help.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2017

If you have a generic functionality that is used across customers/projects, it is best to have a separate project for it. You can then have a separate release cycle for it too.

It is hard to make the call with just the above info but it looks like you can benefit from having a separate project. Creating duplicates for each client project doesn't make sense.

Rasmus Valbro Højte January 5, 2017

Hi Jobin, thanks very much for your answer. It's sort of the solution I've decided to go with in the meantime too, so I'm glad to hear you agree.

When you say generic functionality, I'm guessing you mean something as simple as posting a comment to a database, which is a functionality that could be used across several projects etc., correct?

Then my idea would be to link user stories in the client projects to the web services that they rely on. Would that be a decent way to maintain an overview of how to maintain an overview of the interoperability between the projects?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2017

When I meant generic functionality, I meant the web service in this context. The web service used by many clients.

And yes, you can have different user stories created for the clients itself and then link them to the appropriate ticket in the web service project. Issue linking is meant for that purpose.

Rasmus Valbro Højte January 6, 2017

Alright, thanks very much for your help. smile I've set your comment as the answer. Have a nice weekend!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events