How do i modify the end date of an ACTIVE sprint? I made a typo and I can't fix it!

Andrea Ace October 5, 2018

how do i modify the end date of an ACTIVE sprint? I made a typo and I can't fix it!

1 answer

7 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2018

Hi Andrea,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community.

On the board that has the incorrect sprint, go to backlog, hover over the date you want to change and it will allow you to edit it.

edit sprint.png

Andrea Ace October 8, 2018

Ug. this does not work. This is an ACTIVE sprint... and when i hover over the start OR end date of the sprint, nothing happens... no edit button, nothing... 

Like s.hennessy likes this
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2018

Are you using Cloud or Server? If you are on Cloud, in the Backlog click on the ellipsis on the right-hand side and select Edit sprint, from there you can change the end date. 

Like # people like this
Lucas Smithbauer February 24, 2021

@Andrea Ace - did you ever figure this out? We are encountering a similar situation and it would be nice to see a thread/answer that has some information in it.

Like s.hennessy likes this
Jay Hopia April 19, 2021

@Lucas SmithbauerIn the cloud version this works just fine.  From what @Mikael Sandberg indicated is true.  Make sure you are in line with the Sprint ellipsis vs the Backlog ellipsis that is right above it.  Inside the Sprint ellipsis you can edit Name and Start/End date.

Like Lucas Smithbauer likes this
William_Oliveira September 27, 2021

I also made the update at Backlog place but it still brings to the "Active Sprint" board 3 days remaining wrongly (must be 5)

kavita.reddy October 7, 2021

Mostly it is excluding the weekends @William_Oliveira 

Mike Francis January 31, 2022

I am having the same issue trying to change the end date on an active sprint. The edit sprint button will not work. It also will not allow me to delete the sprint. Any ideas?

Like Christof Ziola likes this
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2022

Hi @Mike Francis,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Make sure that you have manage sprint permissions in the project in order to be able to make changed to the sprint. 

Ralph Tavino February 16, 2022

The Edit Sprint button behind the kabob in the backlog screen doesn't work with my permissions. I found a workaround: right click > open in new tab when hitting the Edit Sprint button, then it opens the project again in another tab, but in that one the Edit Sprint button works properly.

Like # people like this
Rich Razon February 16, 2022

After editing the sprint from the Backlog view.

I found that my Active Sprint view did not update until I clicked the "Recently Updated" button on the Active Sprint view two times.

After doing so, the name of the active sprint and the remaining days updated to according to the edits I made on the sprint.

Like dgladman likes this
Ryan Marshall February 28, 2022

There is definitely a bug in Jira Cloud Edition when editing active sprint.   

• Go to the Backlog
  • Select the Ellipse menu (for the active sprint)
  • Click on the Edit Sprint button.
  • Result:  Nothing happens.

(I verified permissions. I am owner/admin/creator level on a  projects and services.)  

Workaround:  (thanks to Ralph Tavino above) 

• Right click on the Ellipse button
  • Select Open in New Window.   (Same backlog screen as before? Not exactly...)
  • Selecting Ellipse → Edit Sprint now works correctly (for me).

Note:  I tried this with Open in New Tab, and it didn't work (and almost gave up on the workaround before trying one last time with open in new window).

Like Daniel Gopen likes this

Suggest an answer