How do I report on the progress of Epics based on the status of all sub-tasks?

Laurence Parois March 15, 2017

Bit of background - I have several Epics that have sub-tasks - sub-tasks are used to record the work and various things to be done to progress the Epic, similar to sub-tasks for Stories. Each Epic in my project has the same subset of sub-tasks.

This is what I am looking for:

I want to have a view of all Epics showing a count of sub-tasks grouped by sub-task status so I can see how many sub-tasks are To Do, In Progress or Complete and understand the progress of the sub-tasks on each Epic.

I also want to be able to pull a list of all Epics that have a sub-task in a specific status with said sub-task displayed with the Epic, so that I can manage sub-tasks by type of work in groups.

3 answers

1 vote
Robert Leitch [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2017

Hi Laurence,

That could be achieved with our Structure add-on.

1. View of all epics with count of sub-tasks, grouped by sub-task status:
    image2017-3-15 16:8:5.png
  2. List of Epics with sub-task in specific status, just add a filter to the same structure above:
     image2017-3-15 16:9:51.png
0 votes
Dmitry Astapkovich _Colined_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 18, 2017

Another option here is Pivot Report add-on. We have created it for Epic overview first and after that just extended with other options. 
It works with Epic/Task/Sub-tasks, Boards and JQL/filters.

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2017

Better Excel Plugin can provide both views with a custom Excel pivot table.

What you want is actually relatively close to one of the default templates (that you could customize) that calculates a pivot table and renders the below stacked bar chart from the Story Points of the stories of an Epic:

jira-agile-report-epic-pivot-chart.png

Your second use case would be just a filter on the Status dimension.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events