How do I get more control over indentation levels in a list?

Allison Churnside September 23, 2019

I have two related questions about controlling indentation in a numbered list. Oddly, this is behaving differently when I'm editing a page on my team's confluence than here in this box. The desired behavior described below is happening in this box.

Situation 1: I want to change the indentation level of just one line. Say I start with this...

image.png

... but I decide that "I have items" should actually be a sub-item of "It's okay I guess." In other words, I'd like it to be 1.b.i instead of 1.c, and "Some are very profound" should be 1.b.ii. However, on my Confluence page hitting tab on that line drags the sub-item along, so that "Some are very profound" becomes 1.b.i.1, like this...

image.png

Is there some other way to indent just one line?

Situation 2: I want to remove a line that's a mistake, without affecting indenting lower down. Here, I want to delete "Oops I got added by mistake," and keep "It's okay I guess" at the same level: It should go back to being 1.b.

image.png

But when I delete that line, "It's okay I guess" gets moved to a top-level item, like this:

image.png

Obviously there's a workaround where I can just go change the one I don't like after the fact, but if I have lots of items that were dragged along it gets gnarly. Please let me know if anything doesn't make sense, or if more information is required. Thanks so much!

1 answer

0 votes
fran garcia gomera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2019

The problem is the HTML structure behind, imho

You have something like (<ol> is ordered list ; <li> is list item):

<ol>                                //first level ordered list
<li> //first item first level
I'm at the top level
</li>
<ol> //second level
<li> //first item second level
how does it feel
</li> //second item second level
<li>
feels fine, i guess
</li>
<ol> //third level
<li> //first item 3d level
i have items
</li>
<ol> //4th level
<li> //first item 4thlevel
some very deep inside
</li>
</ol>
</ol>

</ol>
<li> //second item first level
But here start the trouble
</li>
<li> //third item second level
This is also top level
</li>
</ol>

when you add a change the level of a row you add the <ol>tab, but you don't delete the inner <ol> tab

when deleting is the same thing, you delete "oops", you delete the <il> and the <ol> and you loose a level for everything

Here you have a html online editor where you can play easily

https://html-online.com/editor/

I can't figure out a simple solution, going into the code  (with the <> button on the top right of confluence is not very useful either. Maybe using a good and aesy to use html editor and then copying the good code into the confluence code

Suggest an answer