How do I create a custom report in Jira?

Claire Momeyer January 6, 2016

Dear Team,

I'd like to create an ad hoc report in JIRA that I can pull weekly to review the stats of certain things but I can't figure out how to do that. Filters are too broad and I would need to completely recreate the filter every week which isn't efficient. Can you please help me? I can't find a help desk number to call.

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2016

For general discussions Atlassian Answers will be your quickest route to answers to any questions. But is dependent on your phrasing the question in a way that can be answered. 

A typical approach can be to describe a Scenario then state the Requirements and ask for suggestions on how to solve this problem. 

If you need more personal help than this then there are Atlassian Partners and Atlassian User Groups around the world who will be able to talk to you and help you directly.

Also keep an eye on the site www.atlassian.com/agile as the articles on this site are frequently added to and can often open your eyes to new opportunities.

1 vote
Doug Swartz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2016

You can enter relative dates into filters. This clause:

createdDate >= -2w

will return issues created in the last 14 days. 

This blog entry is a nice tutorial for learning the JQL query language.

If you post more details about the selection criteria for your report, we can likely help you more.

0 votes
Claire Momeyer June 1, 2016

Bryan,

Not exactly. JIRA is also not very intuitive, for example I just wrote you a response thinking I was signed in only to lose it when I hit 'comment' because I wasn't logged in.

What I do is I create several issues that I can pull to serve as reports. If you select Search for Issues, you select your filter criteria across the top and then you can adjust which columns show up via the columns drop down on the right. These issues you can save and return to whenever you like. Whoever your administrator is can create new fields in the JIRA tickets to help you manage the work in an organized manner when you export the issues to excel. Something to note. If you track things by hours, you have to divide the columns by 3600 in excel in order for the hours to show up correctly, at least for me.

I hope this helps!

0 votes
Bryan Hull June 1, 2016

Claire did you ever get a clear answer to this and were you able to create reports? I'm new to JIRA and would like to create and save regular reports but currently don't see how this can be done. 

0 votes
Doug Swartz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2016

Claire,

Unless your company has purchased a premier or enterprise support plan from Atlassian or one of its partners, phone support is not included. In general, the support for Atlassian products is of the self-help variety. This forum is one of the primary ways to get your questions answered. The people who answer your questions here are not usually Atlassian employees. They are usually people who use the product, or people who build add-ons for one or more of the Atlassian products.

For help with this question specifically, can you give us a two or three sentence description of what you need the report to include?

0 votes
Claire Momeyer January 6, 2016

Well I was trying to make use of filters but I have issues with the "-2w" jargon. I also can't seem to get Epics to show up in the filters. The epics house our release notes so I currently have to pull a data dump for all of the tickets and then manage epics separately in excel. There has to be a better way.

I'm new to JIRA. Thanks for the blog link but I had wanted a call essentially to talk live rather than through chat and to also get help using JIRA in general. I'm not good with technology, ironically. 

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 6, 2016

What kind of custom report do you need? There are a number of gadgets that you can use, maybe one of them will fit. What do you currently use? And what data? Have you read some JIRA documentation about generating different kind of reports?

P.S. I'm not sure what the call is for, but this kind of question can always be directed here in "Atlassian Answers" or if you feel you need Atlassian should take a look at it, open a ticket in (support.atlassian.com). 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events