How do I assign an issue back to the person who just assigned it to me.

DanaF May 3, 2016

We are using JIRA Cloud. We assign an issue to the project manager of that product. They will then assign it to someone in their ranks.  We want that person to hit a button when they are done that says complete.  We verify that the filled in the required fields.  It then assignees the issue back to the person that assigned it to them originally.  We don't want them to  use the assign button or any other screen. How can this be done?

Thanks for your help

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
DanaF May 4, 2016

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response. I see I left something out when i asked my question originally. Yes, assign to lead developer (Project Lead) works BUT we have our Projects set up in a way that we have multiple issue type under them. Each Issue type has what we call a lead. They are responsible to distribute the issues out to the different Directors within the company. The directors then assign it to someone in their ranks. The project manager is not always the person assigning it to someone in their ranks. 

Example

Issue Created - Assigned automatically to the Lead - Lead Assigns it to a Director - Director can work on the issue or assign to their managers - Finished we want it to go automatically go back to their Director - The Director reviews it - When complete hit button - Assigned to Lead Automatically - Finished/Reviewed Assigned to Lead Developer (Project Lead) automatically for review  - Close if applicable or sends to someone for additional information.

We don't individuals to use the assign button or any screen to assign to anyone, we want it all to be done automatically (behind the scenes with workflows).  

Hope this clears it up

Thanks again for your help

Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2016

OK. You'll probably need to use some custom fields to store things like the Director assigned.

If I understand it correctly you have workflows for each of the issue types. In the create step of the workflow you are automatically assigning the issue to the appropriate lead and this is done automatically.

I assume the manual step of "Lead Assigns it to a Director" is still required. Does this also involve a status change in the workflow? If so, you could copy the assignee to a new Custom Field called "Assigned Director". You can do this in a post function if you install the Suite Utilties for JIRA plugin. 

In the transition which marks when the work is complete, you can do the opposite and copy the value in Assigned Director back into the Assignee field.

You can do something similar for the other steps.

1 vote
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2016

If I understand you correctly you will want to assign the issue back to the project manager of the product.

If this is correct then you may be able to use a post-function - Assign to Lead Developer.

I am not sure if this is just badly named or if this is the intended behaviour but, if you are not using component leads, then when this post-function is executed the issue will be assigned to the project manager...at least that is what is happening for me.

So you could try this. You just need to edit your workflow, and on the Complete transition add this postfunction.

Let me know if this works as I'm curious if you get the same results as me.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events